Has anyone ran Hot Cams in 2009 YZ450F

9 replies to this topic
  • ZMoney520

Posted April 07, 2009 - 02:57 PM

So I have been searching the web and TT for anyone who has used Hot Cams in their 2009 YZ450F (the 2008 would be the same I guess) and what it did for them. I haven't had much luck. Has anyone done this, which stage did you use and what was your results?

I have read in an older post that the Hot Cams didn't do much for the 2008 and new cams were in the works for this year model, but when I go to the Hot Cams website all the cams are listed for 2003-2009. I don't understand. I also don't see what year model there dyno chart was done on.

I have already ditched the stock exhaust for the DRD and went up to a 50T rear sproket. I am looking for more mid and over rev. The stage 1 says it will do that but I question the fact that people have written that they don't do anything for the 2008 and it is the same cam offered for 03-09.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

• harrperf

Posted April 07, 2009 - 03:57 PM

stick in an 06 or 07 stock cam!

(Look to see what year they changed it...I think for sure the 06 one is the one you want..)

• ZMoney520

Posted April 07, 2009 - 04:11 PM

I did read that in a Motocross Action article that said they put the 2006 exhaust cam in it and it gave it more midrange hit and provides a broader spread of power. I might give that a try. Has anyone done this?

http://www.motocross...54FF2072372626D

Do you think I should change the intake cam as well?

• ZMoney520

Posted April 08, 2009 - 02:03 PM

I decided I am going to try what they did in the Motocross Action Mag and install an 06 exhaust cam. I ordered it today and hopefully I will be able to try it out the weekend after Easter.

Has anyone done this?

• erickdj

Posted April 08, 2009 - 02:43 PM

I decided I am going to try what they did in the Motocross Action Mag and install an 06 exhaust cam. I ordered it today and hopefully I will be able to try it out the weekend after Easter.

Has anyone done this?

Well, definitely let us know how it goes with the cam change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted April 08, 2009 - 05:07 PM

so if i get hot cams for my 06 it wont make a significance difference?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...:WNASIF:CA:1123

• erickdj

Posted April 08, 2009 - 05:27 PM

so if i get hot cams for my 06 it wont make a significance difference?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...:WNASIF:CA:1123

Seems like it wouldn't do much for you, that's what I understand from reading the posts related to that in the forum. The 06 is regarded as having "VERY" good bottom and mid power hit, which in most cases is where it's needed. The 06 makes about 50hp at peak power, there's not much to be gained in switching the peak power to slightly higher RPMs, more strain on the valves for nothing. Right now my 08 has a DRD exhaust and 51T rear sprocket, at this moment I see no need to squeeze more power out of it. A couple of weeks ago I tried it for the first time with the 51 rear sprocket, at low speed/rpms the throttle was a bit touchy and it hit pretty darn hard, at one point I was in 4th gear whacked the throttle and it pulled so hard the back end started to slide a bit. The rear tire is almost new and the terrain was dry hardpack, so traction should have been decent. This bike gives me a workout just to try to stay on it without having it throw me off the seat.

• ZMoney520

Posted April 17, 2009 - 04:20 PM

Well, I installed the 2006 YZ450F exhaust cam today. I haven't gotten to ride it yet except just in the yard. It feels stronger but will not be able to really tell until I can get to the track and compare it there. I hope to get out Sunday but rain is in the forecast. It may be later next week. I hope to get out on it before the next race. I will let everyone know what I think after I give it a true test on a track that I have turned a lot of laps on. I am so excited to try it out.

• motodreams

Posted April 17, 2009 - 05:03 PM

I put a hot cams stage 1, and a 13:5 to 1 piston, 08 yz450. A little more bottom, even more mid to top. I run stock gearing as the extra power will pull it easily. I race strictly track, and do 3rd gear starts, often pulling holeshots.
Like you I have a Dr. D pipe. Also did some re-jetting, and I can say this is the best running 450 I'v ever had.
Good luck... Have fun!

• JDLowrance

Posted April 19, 2009 - 08:12 AM

Motodreams,

What brand of Piston did you use? What fuel are you running now?

I've got a JE 13.5:1 and Hotcams on the way for my 08. Was wondering if 91 octane pump fuel (here in So Cal) would be good enough to prevent pinging or if I'll need to run a 50/50 race/pump fuel mixture?

Thanks, John

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.