Turbo YZ

350 replies to this topic
  • TIG88

Posted April 19, 2009 - 06:52 AM

Why do you need a battery?

• gbalias

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:56 AM

fuel pump, but a good stator might remedy that. depends i suppose on the draw of the pump

• nealy578

Posted April 19, 2009 - 11:41 AM

Sick build m8 can't wait for some pics or results!

• DRX350

Posted April 20, 2009 - 06:19 AM

Have you looked at those Li-Ion (or whatever) batteries, they're super compact and light.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 20, 2009 - 03:24 PM

i got a little battery off of a TTR. it will fit behind the numberplate some how. im headed out to work on the beast tonight. ill try to grab some pics. also i think i know of a dyno i might be able to use. Dynoteck in belgrade (40 miles from me) has a dyno. hope they will let me use it.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:21 PM

Posted Imagehere is a pic from my phone. gotta find my actual camra and get out there

• TIG88

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Lets hear it run!

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 21, 2009 - 07:56 AM

Posted Imagehere is a pic from my phone. gotta find my actual camra and get out there

idk if this has been asked befor but what size turbo is that?

• TIG88

Posted April 21, 2009 - 08:05 AM

Its a Garrett gt-15 turbo. Its intended for small displacement (1.3-1.6L) diesel engines.

• finthat

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Looks alot cleaner from the intake side. Good work. I wonder if it will spool up fast enough? May need rpm's to keep it boosting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz480doinwork

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:11 PM

thats the glory of having a clutch... long as it stays together

• mikeythefokker

Posted April 21, 2009 - 08:29 PM

Your new top speed will limited by the close ratio gearing of the yz. You should throw in wr 4th and 5th gears for a higher top speed. 80 hp. I love it. Any thoughts of nitrous too? And maybe a parachute instead of brakes?

• JamesNad

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:17 AM

thats the glory of having a clutch... long as it stays together

using the clutch to spool a turbo wont be as effective as you might think, cause when u use the clutch the motor really has no load on it so it isn't sucking as much air into it as it would under a load, and by not sucking as much air in its not putting out as much exhaust as it would if its under a load, so not having that amount of exhaust without a load wont spool the turbo as much as u guys might be thinking,

im building a turbo sled and i wont get no boost while the track is in the air reving it but when i get on it and ride it i will build around 9 pounds.

and the same goes with my truck just reving it will spin the turbo but it wont spool it as much as when driving it,

if u have problems spooling u could spray co2 into the turbo right on the turbine wheel and spool it that way, seem to be effective way of spooling sled turbos. maybe a 2 stage button if u get real fancy.

• TIG88

Posted April 22, 2009 - 12:25 PM

using the clutch to spool a turbo wont be as effective as you might think, cause when u use the clutch the motor really has no load on it so it isn't sucking as much air into it as it would under a load, and by not sucking as much air in its not putting out as much exhaust as it would if its under a load, so not having that amount of exhaust without a load wont spool the turbo as much as u guys might be thinking,

im building a turbo sled and i wont get no boost while the track is in the air reving it but when i get on it and ride it i will build around 9 pounds.

and the same goes with my truck just reving it will spin the turbo but it wont spool it as much as when driving it,

if u have problems spooling u could spray co2 into the turbo right on the turbine wheel and spool it that way, seem to be effective way of spooling sled turbos. maybe a 2 stage button if u get real fancy.

This man speaks the truth. I can see 15-20 psi in nuetral revving, but when on a hard pass I can see 40. From what I understand this effect is a little more pronounced in a diesel, though.

I dont see you having much of a problem spooling it, as many quads use the same turbo (yfz's), but what I can see you having a problem when it DOES spool. When that baby lights its gonna lift the front end off the ground if you have any sort of traction. Kinda like having a 2 stroke hit in the middle of that crazy powerband already.

You should let the wife drive it first :banghead:

• yz133rider

Posted April 22, 2009 - 12:50 PM

Extendo Swingarm anyone?

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:01 PM

found some bolt on extension for $300. trying to decide if i should get it or not

• zachsb3

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:44 PM

found some bolt on extension for $300. trying to decide if i should get it or not

why waste $300 if you dont even know if it'll run yet.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:47 PM

i wouldnt. thats what i meant

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 23, 2009 - 02:24 AM

i really dont think that your gunna get the turbo to even spool up.. i still think the turbo is way to big?

i guess well see

• nitronaf

Posted April 23, 2009 - 06:32 AM

any pics of ur pitot design? :banghead:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.