Turbo YZ

350 replies to this topic
  • gbalias

Posted April 09, 2009 - 09:19 PM

very true gray.

but given the close proximity of all the components to each other, heat soak will be an issue. which means the charge air will be more susceptible to variations in EGT than in like your case with the TT system you built and moving the snail away from the mani. reminds me of the STS turbo systems. :thumbsup:

you can try to use this on the bike.....but im not gonna take it outta my car!

youll have to fork over the $2300 for ECM on your own!
haha

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2009 - 10:42 PM

...given the close proximity of all the components to each other, heat soak will be an issue. ...

That's why I suggested he leave it in the open where the bulk of the heat can radiate away harmlessly.

• 2005_xr250l_thumper

Posted April 10, 2009 - 12:26 AM

this build is both awesome and complex, i hope you can pull it off man :thumbsup:

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted April 10, 2009 - 05:32 AM

Don't be offended by our posts, like Tig pointed out exactly what I was talking about, he offered to do the pipe even. You are not ready to spool it up and ride it, or you would have. I was thinking about your build, and have you also thought about the need for an extended swingarm ( much like a hillclimber?) you might need it for the power pull, wheelies will be an issue even in mud.

Any builder would want to do everything they could right and not half ass anything as long as it could be avoided. I am not getting this feeling here, but you should really think about TIG's offer, the pipe is shit. It will not hold up to the heat, since you welded huge gaps together. I am being honest with you so you should consider that. 2. The swingarm is too short, if you use a stock 450 arm. 3. You will need to fab a serious heat shield under your ass. 4. Good luck, this thing won't be right the first time off, but I am sure you will get it running good , as long as you don't run into a huge hurdle it should work out for you. Huge props for even attempting such a build, it will be cool to see it run!:thumbsup:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 10, 2009 - 05:51 AM

i dont no if this was brought up, but how much oil are you gunna have to put into this bike now that you have the turbo.. i would think you would have to add more oil right?

• Diode663

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:27 AM

There is little to no influence of pipe's lenght on turbo lag.

The length of pipe between the turbo and head has an extreme effect on spool. Especially since this turbo probably isn't correct for this application. Header wrap from the motor to the turbo and try to conserve as much of that energy is possible.

Also he does have a tig welder, theres a syncrowave 200 in one of his pics in the first post.

I know that no one will see the welds once its all back together, but you spent alot of time on this project, I guess I cant see how you wouldnt give a damn about the welds. Good fitup is the key to welding anything, if you have giant holes then you will have problems.

Either way good luck with the project I am interested to see how this will work.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:38 AM

Don't be offended by our posts, like Tig pointed out exactly what I was talking about, he offered to do the pipe even. You are not ready to spool it up and ride it, or you would have. I was thinking about your build, and have you also thought about the need for an extended swingarm ( much like a hillclimber?) you might need it for the power pull, wheelies will be an issue even in mud.

Any builder would want to do everything they could right and not half ass anything as long as it could be avoided. I am not getting this feeling here, but you should really think about TIG's offer, the pipe is shit. It will not hold up to the heat, since you welded huge gaps together. I am being honest with you so you should consider that. 2. The swingarm is too short, if you use a stock 450 arm. 3. You will need to fab a serious heat shield under your ass. 4. Good luck, this thing won't be right the first time off, but I am sure you will get it running good , as long as you don't run into a huge hurdle it should work out for you. Huge props for even attempting such a build, it will be cool to see it run!:thumbsup:

the swingarm might be a problem. i think its gonna be very hard to keep the front end on the ground if i do get this running as planned. at first i thought i HAD to extend the swingarm to keep my rear tire from hitting my turbo. but i loosened my shock all theway up and completely compressed it and its not evne close to hitting. a paddle tire will be slightly closer but it still wont hit. so that made me re-think the swingarm thing. does anyone build a kit to extend a yz swingarm? or would it be another one of my custom pieces. i do know a guy that lives in Billings Montana and helps hillclimb riders extend there arms. maybe i will talk to him.

p.s. i know this wont run great the first time i ride it. i think its gonna be fun trying to get it just right. its gonna be a challenge:ride:

i dont no if this was brought up, but how much oil are you gunna have to put into this bike now that you have the turbo.. i would think you would have to add more oil right?

i will start just a little over the stock amount of oil. and then use the dipstick to see from there. it should be much more. 1 cup maybe. the turbo+oil lines dont hold much. my oil lines are all finished up. i didnt have my camra last night tho so ill take some pics later.

Grey, thanks for that post. that made me feel better because everyone on yfz tech said she would blow up even on 5 pounds. i am looking into a MSD ignition and their programing kit. here is my ideal bike. 10:1 compression, MSD ignition, 100 octane, @ 10 pounds of boost. think i could get away with that?

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:45 AM

That's why I suggested he leave it in the open where the bulk of the heat can radiate away harmlessly.

now that i think about it i probably will leave the sides open. that leaves the turbo totaly exposed and heat should be less of an issue. i also forgot to say that i am getting air intake the heck outta there. im going to get a 90 degree hose and put the filter parallel with my number plate, on the outside, weather it will be in my way or not is another question. i will find out. i was looking in the WPS book at my shop and found the airfilter i want. its a double stage UNI "pod". i hope it has a good cage inside so i dont suck it in tho.

The length of pipe between the turbo and head has an extreme effect on spool. Especially since this turbo probably isn't correct for this application. Header wrap from the motor to the turbo and try to conserve as much of that energy is possible.

i had my header wraped when this bike was stock. i got board one day so i wraped it up. but when i first started this project i took it off. i figured i wanted to get rid of as much heat as possible

• TIG88

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:50 AM

I dont know how I missed the Syncrowave in the first pic...

If the exhaust is finished can you post pics?

If your not done and your using the MIG, try to get some thin wire. Its not too popular, but some .023" Diameter 308,309,316LSI can be found. You'll need to get the appropriate contact tips and rollers as well.

Set it up cold and run downhill passes. Let the downward flow of the puddle control your speed.

Look at airgas.com

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:11 AM

we only use the syncrowave for aluminum. the exhaust is done->

Posted Image

Posted Image

the holes are that are in this pic are now fixed. they were not from burning through but from plazma cutting the hole oblong to match the pipe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TIG88

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:21 AM

Well, it will hold till it breaks!

I guess this hasnt been adressed, but what are you gonna do for a clutch? I bet you'll slip the piss out of it under boost.

"the holes are that are in this pic are now fixed. they were not from burning through but from plazma cutting the hole oblong to match the pipe"

??

• Diode663

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Any reason you dont use the tig for steel?

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:33 AM

Well, it will hold till it breaks!

I guess this hasnt been adressed, but what are you gonna do for a clutch? I bet you'll slip the piss out of it under boost.

"the holes are that are in this pic are now fixed. they were not from burning through but from plazma cutting the hole oblong to match the pipe"

??

in the manifold plate (before there was a pipe welded to it) i plazma cut a circular hole for the exhaust to go through. the pipe we welded on was not the same size as the hole and the pipe was also oblong. so we had to make the hole in the plate the same size as the pipe. so i used the plazma cutter. i acidently went a little to far and cut a hole in the pipe.

Any reason you dont use the tig for steel?

we just never really have looked into it. were not set up for it.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:34 AM

im not sure what to think about a clutch yet... Rekluse? or?

• TIG88

Posted April 10, 2009 - 08:12 AM

we just never really have looked into it. were not set up for it.

Argon, 2% Thoriated Tungsten, 308LSI filler wire.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 10, 2009 - 08:21 AM

Argon, 2% Thoriated Tungsten, 308LSI filler wire.

thank ya sir

• TIG88

Posted April 10, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Oh and set it to DCEN, no AC for SS

• mc1hd

Posted April 10, 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hinson clutch would be my choice.

• spark250

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:11 AM

I could only read the first couple pages before I got annoyed but as it sits this thing will never run right. You have to have an airbox for this kind of turbo set up. Like greyracer said before you have to equalize the pressure in the float bowls.

I commend you for trying to take on a project like this but it will never run!
At least never run right......

Good luck

Give us an update in about a year or so. It might be a good time for the rest of us to buy stock in a piston manufacturer, you're gonna be eating them up!

• gbalias

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:32 AM

this is gonna make a fast supermoto bike.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.