Turbo YZ

350 replies to this topic
  • gbalias

Posted April 07, 2009 - 09:34 PM

i was asking in curiosity of whether or not you did any research on the compressor map and efficiency, etc. for that snail.

shouldnt have a problem if you/dad have built some before but a 4s single is a lil different.

and id invest in a nice TIG machine.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted April 07, 2009 - 09:56 PM

i have a 480 athena kit and the athena piston compression ratio is slightly less than stock. eventually i will have CP make me a 480 lowcompression piston. unless i go back to the stock bore, either way i will probably go low compression eventually

You will be able to find 98mm low comp turbo/nitrous pistons for your bike alot easier if you search the YFZTECH forums for 98mm "WR" pistons. I know of at least one vendor on that site that sold low comp CP pistons for applications just like this. Any WR piston will work in a YZF since they both have the 18mm wristpin. The quad has a 20mm wistpin, but alot of guys put WR450 crank and rods in the 04/05 YFZ's to make them a true 449cc motor.

• cheeseclip

Posted April 08, 2009 - 12:56 AM

i dont think id like to be behind that thing if it were in a mud bog or something lol. come to think of it i dont even like being stuck behind a drz400 in a mud bog haha

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 08, 2009 - 03:12 AM

heres my fuel pump setup

Posted Image

wanna try welding up that gap on this thin metal and making it look good? best part is no one will be able to see it once the panels are back on.

Posted Image

you dont weld gaps that big first off and 2nd when you gunna be done with this monster

• CyclePro238

Posted April 08, 2009 - 04:44 AM

How much Boost do you plan on running in it? I know the YFZ's have problems with the cases not being able to hold together after 8 pounds i think it is. You might want to look into that...

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted April 08, 2009 - 07:23 AM

You could have fabricated and cut some thin sheet titanium or stainless and tack fitted then welded it on. Instead, you chose to weld huge gaps together with nothing but filler material. Im sure the inside of those pipes are not smooth and have globs of filler that dribbled down inside. Second, the weld may burst under extreme heat build up from the turbo, especially in sand. Creativity is a A+,but build quality you get a D.
Do you think the valve train will be able to not fumble and shatter inside the head? Hope you went titanium at the least and with high perf. retainers and springs. Its a cool idea, but remember all that crap is under your rear end, if it goes boom you are going to feel it. Good idea and good luck!

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2009 - 07:50 AM

wanna try welding up that gap on this thin metal and making it look good?

No. In the first place, the pipe is titanium, and with the light gauge, I would have fit it better and used a TIG machine. I would never have considered welding across a gap like that on such materials.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 08, 2009 - 11:01 AM

I have one question.....WHY?:thumbsup:

• William1

Posted April 08, 2009 - 11:28 AM

I also have a little concern (unless all the bike is going to do is drag race) about turbo lag. Pretty good distance the head pipe has to run. Gonna get mighty hot under the seat too. Finally, that turbo looks a little large.....

• zachsb3

Posted April 08, 2009 - 11:53 AM

honestly looks like shit. looks like you have more money than knowledge.

good luck goin be one expensive paper weight.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmckinney

Posted April 08, 2009 - 12:17 PM

yz480doinwork keep up the work and keep posting the pics... It's funny how everyone thinks there a expert when someone else is doing the faberication, ahh the joy of the internet...

I hope to see some video of you blasting up the dunes...

• DRX350

Posted April 08, 2009 - 12:27 PM

I give you mad props for building that. Sure, the pipe could have been prettier, but who cares if it functions properly. At least you did the work, good job.

The last thing people will notice are the welds when a YZ450 is spooling up and pulling a wheelie at 80mph, congrats.

That bike would be scary as all hell, when are the vids gonna be up!!!

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 08, 2009 - 03:12 PM

I give you mad props for building that. Sure, the pipe could have been prettier, but who cares if it functions properly. At least you did the work, good job.

The last thing people will notice are the welds when a YZ450 is spooling up and pulling a wheelie at 80mph, congrats.

That bike would be scary as all hell, when are the vids gonna be up!!!

yz480doinwork keep up the work and keep posting the pics... It's funny how everyone thinks there a expert when someone else is doing the faberication, ahh the joy of the internet...

I hope to see some video of you blasting up the dunes...

thank you two for posting. i was gettin pretty pissed untill i hit the forth page. we have wire feed, aluminum, arch and gass welder. you cant make this pipe fit perfectly together when you making these corners. we spend over 10 hours getting the exhaust as close as it is. and this pipe is not titanium. i used the stock exhaust pipe and some stainless i got from my local tireshop. i have been on the YFZ tech fourms a lot asking questions and i have heard mose people run alichol, low compression pistons, and retarded timing. they run in the high teens and low 20's for boost. there is a video on youtube of one that was running 24 pounds. i think this engine will hold together on 5 pounds with slighly lower compresion and good race fuel.

i will get a video once im up and running. im waiting for my darn oil filter cover to come in

• TIG88

Posted April 08, 2009 - 03:41 PM

I can help you out with the welding, I find it pretty enjoying actually. We're down to 4 day weeks now.

I'm a certified TIG welder, specializing in thinwall SS and AL pipe and tubing, this happens to be right up my alley.

Let me know if you want a hand, I can make it look nice.

Nice project BTW!

• TIG88

Posted April 08, 2009 - 03:53 PM

But if you wanna do it yourself, heres a few pointers:

1) The hell with the MIG, go and buy a TIG machine. I recomend a Miller Maxstar 150 or the equivalent with the foot pedal. Use pure Argon gas, set at 20 CFH.

2) Toss that exhaust, its shit, no offense. on tubing you can get away with a small gap, 3/32" to 1/8" max. 10 hours and you cant make it fit perfectly? It can be done in less than 2, and fit perfectly, I do it everyday.

3) Purge the weld. Cap off the one end of the pipe, and get a second tank of argon, and set a regulator at 10-30 CFH filling the pipe. Use tinfoil to plug the holes you will not be welding immeadeately.

When your welding thin material, the weld will penetrate all the way through, and oxidize the other side. The result is a nasty mess that will seriously impede your flow.

4) Practice. You will be a while learning this.

5) Get 3/32" electrodes and 1/16" wire. Sharpen the electrode to a long taper.

Like I said, let me know if I can help.

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 08, 2009 - 04:43 PM

lol thats funny. why would you toss an exhaust that u built yourslef, spend NO money on and is all hooked up and ready to test. no one is gonna be able to see the thing so i dont give a ***k what it looks like. if it breaks im going to take it to a local welder and have the welds re done. thanks for the offer but i cant see shiping the thing to Maryland when its already finished and ready to spool. there were a lot of boogers and slag inside the pipe, those are taken care of because if something were to break loose the turbo would be toast

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 08, 2009 - 04:44 PM

thanks for the TIG info btw

• diegox450

Posted April 08, 2009 - 04:57 PM

I also have a little concern (unless all the bike is going to do is drag race) about turbo lag. Pretty good distance the head pipe has to run. Gonna get mighty hot under the seat too. Finally, that turbo looks a little large.....

There is little to no influence of pipe's lenght on turbo lag. Another thing is the heat under the seat....

Be careful with the oil pressure... I don't think that the Yammi's oil pump has enough capacity to supply the engine and the turbocharger adecuatelly.

Also, it's pretty difficult to turbocharge single cylinder engines.... since the exhaust pulses are too far between them, and the turbo will suffer from that, not spining properly and creating surge....

BTW, all the best and good luck with the project...

• yam 3

Posted April 08, 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hell yeah man!!!!!!!!! Fire her up and let her EAT! Take some video of the action and shut up all the nit-pickers!!!!!! oh yeah wear a helmet and possibly a cup!

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 08, 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hell yeah man!!!!!!!!! Fire her up and let her EAT! Take some video of the action and shut up all the nit-pickers!!!!!! oh yeah wear a helmet and possibly a cup!

hell yeah is right! ill wait for a muddy day to ride it the first time that way i wont have enought traction to wheelie over backwerds! haha it will take some time to make work. i just got in from working on it. took the carb off (pain in the ass), finished my temporarty oil return line and took my turbo off so we can put an angle in the compresser tube to get the charge tube around the shock. while i got the turbo off should i set the shock a little bit stiffer?

also i have a bunch of heat fome/tape off of old snowmobiles. that plus the aluminum gards i plan to build should help with the under-seat-heat problem. i plan to put the sides off the airbox back on so the turbo can not be seen. but they will probably get to hot. maby ill put some kinda vents in them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.