Turbo YZ

350 replies to this topic
  • azzchaos

Posted June 25, 2011 - 11:52 PM

i have a turbo wrf426 just in final tuneing stages hang on the power is brutal:thumbsup:

• yz480doinwork

Posted June 27, 2011 - 06:49 PM

any suggestions on a programable ignition to retard my timing on top end? also still looking for a good stator to charge my battry a little. i have forgotten the research i did years ago.

• yz480doinwork

Posted June 29, 2011 - 01:23 PM

Just talked to a place that has a dyno and the bike will be dynoed within a few weeks

• azzchaos

Posted July 03, 2011 - 12:21 AM

what turbo are you running and what sise is the plenem chamber

• azzchaos

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:46 AM

any suggestions on a programable ignition to retard my timing on top end? also still looking for a good stator to charge my battry a little. i have forgotten the research i did years ago.

vortex cdi is a good place to start it worked on mine

• yz480doinwork

Posted July 04, 2011 - 04:01 AM

what turbo are you running and what sise is the plenem chamber

Its a GT 12 and I probably have almost 4 times the engine displacement in air space, but I haven't measured it

• proz07

Posted July 04, 2011 - 05:24 AM

Its a GT 12 and I probably have almost 4 times the engine displacement in air space, but I haven't measured it

nice! looking into a gt15 for my Xr650r still not sure if i want to stick with the t12 34mm turbine inlet or up it to the t25 flange which would be perfect for matching the manifold runners...

Thats quite the plenum size being you really only have ot have 50-70% engine displacement but the larger plenums have a tendency to produce more HP in the long run.

z

• yz480doinwork

Posted July 04, 2011 - 07:45 AM

I have also heard that with a single cylinder engine, 4 times the engine displacement is a good goal. My bike would not run at all with a really small chamber and the gt 15

• azzchaos

Posted July 05, 2011 - 12:35 AM

i also run a gt12 on the wrf i can get 3psi not in gear and it hits the set 6psi real fast threw the gears no lag people told me it wouldent spool a turbo:p

• yz480doinwork

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:38 PM

been talking to vortex. i think its the way to go. getting the whole set up to make your own cdi maps looks kinda spendy. hopefully out of the 10 preset maps there are some that retard the timing on top end. the handle bar switch would be sweet. have a map that is close to stock and a map that is retarded for big boost. flip the switch when you head up a big hill. also raising the rev limiter might help the "pop" when i shit under big load and boost.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jampesteri

Posted July 19, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Do you have any heat issues whit the rear mount under the seat?

I have an atv-project and the position of the turbo (garrett-15) is exactly the same :smirk:

• yz480doinwork

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Two weekends ago the rod bearing cage exploded. Just pressed the crank back together today and I hope to have it in the dunes on Thursday. Never did get anyone to come through for a dyno but the bike is very powerful at 20-25 pounds of boost

• proz07

Posted October 18, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Two weekends ago the rod bearing cage exploded. Just pressed the crank back together today and I hope to have it in the dunes on Thursday. Never did get anyone to come through for a dyno but the bike is very powerful at 20-25 pounds of boost

so what compression do you think you have in there? you just added base gaskets correct? what did you do to retard the cam timing by raising the cylinder? or have you done nothing? 20-25psi?! impressive what fuel? i know the sweed with the xr650r was running 15psi at 100ish hp and started doing the same thing eating cages and flattening bearings at about 125ish hp.

wish youd post more on your setup and pics... no one that does turbo bikes ever puts up enough information on it....

z

• yz480doinwork

Posted October 18, 2011 - 07:48 AM

This stuff is deffinatly kept pretty quiet. IV spent years figuring out my system, so I'm not going to put EVERY detail online. I run 110 octane fuel. I added bace gaskets, I'm guessing the compression is down around 10:1. That advanced the timing. I retarded the exhaust cam one tooth, putting it past stock timing (retarded). Then I wanted to retard the intake but also get rid of some valve overlap. It took some creativity but the intake cam is back to the exact stock timing. I have no idea where I'm at for HP. I wouldn't think it is over 80 but who knows

• proz07

Posted October 18, 2011 - 11:40 PM

This stuff is deffinatly kept pretty quiet. IV spent years figuring out my system, so I'm not going to put EVERY detail online. I run 110 octane fuel. I added bace gaskets, I'm guessing the compression is down around 10:1. That advanced the timing. I retarded the exhaust cam one tooth, putting it past stock timing (retarded). Then I wanted to retard the intake but also get rid of some valve overlap. It took some creativity but the intake cam is back to the exact stock timing. I have no idea where I'm at for HP. I wouldn't think it is over 80 but who knows

well i can appreciate the little tidbits that are released i try to find all i can for ideas on how i want to do my setup. I actually think iv found a car piston that has the correct compression height and specs to work for my bike XR650R so thats the direction im going to pursue for compression to get away from changing cam timing when raising the cylinder.

I dont know high octane and 20-25psi on a bike with stock 47-50hp it may be getting up there in HP which is whats killing the roller bearing obviously. have you welded the crank pins yet? or is crank tweaking not the cause of the failed bearing?

z

• danzick

Posted October 19, 2011 - 05:13 AM

Good luck this weekend man. I was gonna drive down just for sat and Sunday if matt could but he can't. Gonna have to get some vids with your phone and sendme. Curious too see how that 10 paddle works.

• yz480doinwork

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:27 AM

I have not welded the pin. I should have checked the alignment before I split the crank. But a pin, rod and bearing are cheaper than a whole crank so ill see how things go. Ill try to get some miles on it at a little lower boost.

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 21, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Never did get anyone to come through for a dyno but the bike is very powerful at 20-25 pounds of boost

If you want a rough and rather optimistic estimate, take your boost pressure, divide by atmospheric pressure, and multiply the bike's NA horsepower by the result. In this case, 25psi is around 1.7x the stock power at STP.

Cool project, BTW. Turbos are one of my favorite subjects. EFI is another. :thumbsup: Combine the two and I'm in hog heaven. :ride:

• yz480doinwork

Posted October 21, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I wish there was a cost affective way to fuel inject this bike... on the bright side, it has ran pretty good the last two days in the dunes. I turned it down to about 16 pounds and it still makes good power, still a minor flaw in mid range tuning. Ill play with the needle more and see what the rest of the weekend brings

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 21, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I guess it depends on the definition of "cost effective."

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.