08 WR450 + Dunes = Questions

17 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:48 PM

Well my plans fell through on the 85 atc 250r that I was going to get (need more work that it was worth :thumbsup: )

None the less, I'm leaving for Glamis on Thursday and I am taking the WR. I figure an 8 cup paddle will do the trick.

My questions are:

1) Do you guys remove the mud flap or not?

2) Gearing...I currently have 14/50 (stock is 13/50) will I be fine with this or should I go back to stock?

3) Below is the current setup, is there any thing else I am missing?

Posted Image

• pablo83

Posted April 06, 2009 - 07:56 PM

why would you remove the flap?

• PARKER520

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:15 PM

why would you remove the flap?

The paddles will hit it probably.

Ps: Sweet sticker kit by the way.

• zorroz

Posted April 07, 2009 - 03:46 AM

Yeah that paddle will rip the flap off. I cut a bit of plastic from an ice cream container to protect the shock. Also the sand will blast your black rim up. Thats why I use an old silver rim for the paddle as its now stripped the anodizing off.

• DuneDevil

Posted April 07, 2009 - 04:40 AM

I prefer the lower gearing for drag racing, but you'll get my with the 14.

Yeah, remove the flap.

• GCannon

Posted April 07, 2009 - 08:49 AM

A shock cover would be good in place of the flap something like this:

http://www.cyclepage...GroupID=5502485

I bet two pairs of panty Hose would do well for one trip.

Sandblasting that freashlly rebuilt shock would be a shame!:thumbsup:

• DrzDasher

Posted April 07, 2009 - 09:39 AM

Coop I had to put a 48 on the rear with an 8 cup turbo paddle. Tire still hit mudflap alittle bit , you will want a little higher gearing in the sand because first is useless with stock gearing, even with the 48 I still start in second. If you stay longer than a day remember to check your air filter. have fun, remember to be redneck and go swimming in the canal.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 07, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Coop I had to put a 48 on the rear with an 8 cup turbo paddle. Tire still hit mudflap alittle bit , you will want a little higher gearing in the sand because first is useless with stock gearing, even with the 48 I still start in second. If you stay longer than a day remember to check your air filter. have fun, remember to be redneck and go swimming in the canal.

How was the power with that gearing?

Im thinking if i got to stock ill have tones of bottom end for massive hill climbing

did you cover you shock so they dont get sand blasted?

and YES i will take a new filter for each day...might even do the panty hoes thing

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted April 07, 2009 - 11:07 AM

I destroyed my mud flap with a paddle tire. It only got torn up below the swingarm yoke though, so it still protected the shock pretty well.

You could remove it, but you would have not protection for your rear shock shaft unless you duct tape the spring or something.

The flap is only $12 at the dealership if I remember correctly. I would just take your chances at the clearance problem and if you get it torn up buy a new one and you now have one specific for sand and another one for everything else.

I ran a 52 tooth chainring in the back. I am too much of a wus to really comment on the right kind of gearing though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted April 07, 2009 - 11:44 AM

i like to remove the flap. the panty hose trick over the air filter works really well.

stock or 13/50 gearing will be fine either way.

start in second or you dig a big hole.

have fun, its my favorite place to ride. the WR is fantastic in the dunes.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 07, 2009 - 11:49 AM

stock or 13/50 gearing will be fine either way.

Stock on the 07+ is 13/50 (I currently have a 14/50 setup but can make the switch)

What bike are you riding in the dunes?

Do you cover the rear shock?

• kskyles

Posted April 07, 2009 - 12:16 PM

i'm on an '05. i run the stock 14/50 gearing. i tried a 13 tooth sprocket one time, and it was okay.

i like the 14/50 at glamis a little better.

i forgot about the gearing differences with the 07+.

my bad.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 07, 2009 - 12:18 PM

i forgot about the gearing differences with the 07+.

No problem...I am going to run stock gearing....should be fun

• DrzDasher

Posted April 07, 2009 - 04:41 PM

14/48 and I don't even know there are hills. That bike will fly up anything. I just like the higher gearing out there, seems to float better, rather than dig a hole. Will tell you my friend always backs it down and says it scares him, he rides a xr400. Wish my damn arm wasn't in an immobilizer.

• aruggiero

Posted April 07, 2009 - 06:13 PM

Coop off the subject what seat are you running
and what jetting

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 07, 2009 - 06:23 PM

Coop off the subject what seat are you running
and what jetting

The seat is a Guts Racing seat (tall medium foam)

Jetting is:

Pilot 48
Leak 40
Main 168
YZ Needle (NFPP) 3rd clip from the top

Hope this helps ya :thumbsup:

• kskyles

Posted April 08, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Do you cover the rear shock?

Coop-

missed this last question from the previous post...

i never cover my shock, but i don't really care if it gets beat up. i get the shock serviced every year, and my suspension guy has never noticed any issues with it.

i guess it wouldn't hurt to get a shock cover. i've even seen some guys put duct tape over the spring when they're out there.

i worry more about sucking sand in to the intake, so make sure everything from the airbox to the motor is secure. then change your airfilter after a day.

by the way, your bike is much prettier than mine :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 08, 2009 - 12:20 PM

i worry more about sucking sand in to the intake, so make sure everything from the airbox to the motor is secure. then change your airfilter after a day.

by the way, your bike is much prettier than mine :thumbsup:

I worry about this as well...I have three filters ready to go for the trip :confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.