2010 Yz450f

560 replies to this topic
  • wondermuscle

Posted April 07, 2009 - 01:15 PM

Translation from a mexican riding buddy of mine:

Yamaha is beating Husaberg to the patent race in this new design, and before Husaberg brings out their new models.
Motor is going to be 180degrees torwards the back (relative to the vertical frame??)of the bike, keeping the Fuel injection in the front of the bike, not from the back.
Exhaust goes straight back.
This will improve the center of gravity.

Frame will be a hybrid cast aluminum, bolted together. I'm not sure where the junctions are.
Tank will be elongated under the entire seat, to also lower the center of gravity. (Pancake)
The rear shock will be electronic, or electronically controlled.

• rjcook450

Posted April 07, 2009 - 03:18 PM

sorry, dont think this is going to happen, sounds all well and good, they may be working on a design like husaberg, but i dont think this is what we will see for 2010. a new frame, foward tilted motor, efi, makes more sense, i dont think they will make such a drastic change yet. will have to wait and see, i know the 250f will have efi for 2010.

• wondermuscle

Posted April 08, 2009 - 01:48 PM

I bet your tank is always half empty.....

• bsmith106

Posted April 08, 2009 - 02:42 PM

You never know until the dealer meeting, but there could be some truth to this rumor. In 06 yamaha leaned the top end back closer to vertical to shake off what many said was a top heavy feel. why not lean it back some more and see if there is more to be gained. Then move the whole engine ahead bout 10-20mm to gain back some weight on the front wheel, lengthen the swingarm the same amount. maybe wrap the exhaust all the way round the cylinder with a resonance chamber right where the 09 headpipe exits the head, then place the shock rezzy where the 09 air boot was and jam the muffler, a full sized muffler, bout 8" forward so it doesnt hang any further out than the 08 style shorty. pure speculation.

• yam 3

Posted April 08, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I for one hope it has all of those goodies and carves turns like a 'zook and keeps the same straight line steadyness we all seem to like but never mention, lasts forever and best of all is cheaper than an 09...ok that last one is a stretch but we can still dream

• yz480doinwork

Posted April 08, 2009 - 07:21 PM

i asked my dad (a yamahadealer) about this and he said he knew something was up because of some promos or something i wasn't really paying attension. but he hadnt heard anything about this bike. so we'll see. sounds cool to me

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:27 PM

I for one hope it ...carves turns like a 'zook and keeps the same straight line steadyness we all seem to like

These two attributes are somewhat mutually exclusive.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:30 PM

These two attributes are somewhat mutually exclusive.

Thats what I was thinking you get one or the other not really both.

• yam 3

Posted April 09, 2009 - 11:32 AM

party poopers......

• FinchFan194

Posted April 09, 2009 - 11:55 AM

party poopers......

Just to help you out if that is what you want in a bike.

1. Make a bike turn well first then you have your turning but lose your hight speed stability right?

2. Go get a steering stabilizer to get your stability back!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finthat

Posted April 09, 2009 - 04:33 PM

Laying down engines has been going on in snowmobiles for a few years to try and lower the center of gravity. I think Yamaha's four stroke sleds have the same thing going on too. This bike sounds interesting. Why couldn't they pretty much lay the engine flat toward the back??

Only problem is you may need the hands of a 6 year old girl to work on bikes now to, just like sleds.

• yamaha6j

Posted April 09, 2009 - 04:54 PM

This is going to be great !!! I hope that Yamaha changes the dirt bike world again... They will get it correct, as i know they have the patience to pull this off.

• bmwgooberguy

Posted April 09, 2009 - 08:35 PM

the 2010 yz 450 will have direct injection not efi because it will remove the fuel pump from the fuel tank and thus the tank can be, more able to go larger than normal. the exhaust will be going out the back of the bike where the carb is now. and with di you dont have a problem with the throttle body being in the way. the bike is going to set the industry on its ear! and the body work is going to be all new.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2009 - 10:34 PM

the 2010 yz 450 will have direct injection not efi because it will remove the fuel pump from the fuel tank and thus the tank can be, more able to go larger than normal. ... and with di you dont have a problem with the throttle body being in the way.

So, you're saying the new YZ450 is a diesel?

First, direct injection is possible in a gasoline engine, but it is extremely expensive compared with port or throttle body injection, but it has no advantages to a gasoline engine, and regardless of where the injector is located, a practical gasoline engine needs a throttle plate.

Second, "EFI" stands for Electronic Fuel Injection, and tells you only that the fuel metering is done electronically. It says nothing about the location of the fuel pump, injector nozzle, nor any other component, nor about how simplistic or complex the system is.

Third, nothing about EFI specifies that the pump must be in the tank. On Bosch equipped Volvos from 1975 to at least 2002, it was always external. The in-the-tank mounting has become popular in the automotive world for a number of reasons, but the pump can be any place.

• RoryYzf250

Posted April 09, 2009 - 11:08 PM

Gasoline engines don't need a throttle plate

"Quote from Wikipedia"

http://en.wikipedia....irect_injection

The cited gains are achieved by the precise control over the amount of fuel and injection timings which are varied according to the load conditions. In addition, there are no throttling losses in some GDI engines, when compared to a conventional fuel injected or carburetor engine, which greatly improves efficiency, and reduces 'pumping losses' in engines without a throttle plate. Engine speed is controlled by the engine control unit/engine management system (EMS), which regulates fuel injection function and ignition timing, instead of having a throttle plate which restricts the incoming air supply. Adding this function to the EMS requires considerable enhancement of its processing and memory, as direct injection plus the engine speed management must have very precise algorithms for good performance/drive ability.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2009 - 11:41 PM

It can and has been done, yes, but note the statement, "Adding this function to the EMS requires considerable enhancement of its processing and memory, as direct injection plus the engine speed management must have very precise algorithms for good performance/drive ability."

Given that the current level of sophistication in MX EFI systems does not even include oxygen or barometric sensors, don't expect to see electronic direct injection systems on a dirt bike for a while.

• RoryYzf250

Posted April 10, 2009 - 12:24 AM

yes i did read that statement BUT you never know Yamaha could pull some major that will change the face of MX in regards of engine design and fuel injection, but all i was saying that it can be done.

• 2005_xr250l_thumper

Posted April 10, 2009 - 03:06 AM

this bike sounds like its coming from the same design team that brought us the CRF 700X

• FiremanKay

Posted April 10, 2009 - 07:17 AM

sounds like EFI is just another way to get more money. Give me a bike that is about 70db and i will be happy to pay more so I my tracks all dont get closed down. Give me a 450 that is about 220lbs. Theres lots of things that would make me think "hey now thats worth it" EFI... not proven at all. Really, who care... just about as dumb as the 2 pipe thing honda did. But hey thats just me

• finthat

Posted April 10, 2009 - 08:16 AM

Back to sleds again. Ski-doo uses direct injection in thier e-tek engine which comes from Evinrude outboard engines. They are two stokes and have a throttle plate as well I think. Funny thing is when at idle they sound different, don't have the same tangey sound to them and you cannot smell them or see any sort of smoke either. They actually plan to meet emissions with this two stroker. I guess all I am saying with the snowmobile talk is the technology is around, just not an industry standard yet. But it does have to start some where right?? They do have thier share of glitches and codes but less burnt pistons as they will go into a limp home mode if problems are sensed. Not sure if there is a need for all the electronic tech in racing bikes though and it also make the dealers shop happy $$$. Think of your car when the check engine light comes on.

PS. Last time I check diesel engines have a hugh injection pump run off the crank shaft ussually.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.