2010 Yz450f

No, they'll be putting the new one out there. The bikes are already being built, the parts are ordered, everythings moving. Gray noted the blurb from dirtrider about "that photo" refferening to the CAD info, The patents that showed up early in this thread match it well, Steve Mathes from Racer X etc. did some snooping while in europe and mentioned that we better watch out for the 2010 Yamaha, saying "it is going to blow your wig back". The question is not if, but when.

Which brings up another not if but when.

What I realy need to know is this, and I'm hoping for gray to throw his $.02 in since he's ridden them all. I have been maintaining, upgrading, and racing a 2003 for 3 years waiting for my next bike. The Mrs. has blessed the new 450 purchase. Do I Wait till spring, keep riding the tank, and buy a 2010? Or do I purchase a 2009 at a low number, pipe it and ride it for a few years? Honestly, my bike is still faster than I am (middle pack vet?, but it would be nice to step into some better gear. Then again, that's one less excuse for not scoring a few more points on the weekend.:worthy:

The Mrs. has blessed the new 450 purchase. Do I Wait till spring, keep riding the tank, and buy a 2010? Or do I purchase a 2009 at a low number, pipe it and ride it for a few years?

If I could by a new bike right now, but I had one the runs, I'd wait 'til December, and buy myself a Christmas present (the '10). Wait, you're in one of those states that has real winters...yeah, wait 'til Spring.

Either that, or buy it in December and come ride with me in January. :worthy:

When there is a complete redesign coming I have always wondered if any of the aftermarket manufacturers get any type of a 'heads up' from the OEM? I'm thinking of say Clark or IMS...do they just have to wait for the first bike to show up and then scramble to make a large capacity tank for it? Same thing with exhaust manufacturers, etc...?

When there is a complete redesign coming I have always wondered if any of the aftermarket manufacturers get any type of a 'heads up' from the OEM? I'm thinking of say Clark or IMS...do they just have to wait for the first bike to show up and then scramble to make a large capacity tank for it? Same thing with exhaust manufacturers, etc...?

I asked the guys at Scotts Performance this very question and the answer was basically no. Sometimes they may get a bike a few weeks early but thats it. Also, if they get it early they might have it for a day max. They just gear up for the new release and everyone works around the clock until the prototypes are completely done.

What I realy need to know is this, and I'm hoping for gray to throw his $.02 in since he's ridden them all. I have been maintaining, upgrading, and racing a 2003 for 3 years waiting for my next bike. The Mrs. has blessed the new 450 purchase. Do I Wait till spring, keep riding the tank, and buy a 2010? Or do I purchase a 2009 at a low number, pipe it and ride it for a few years? Honestly, my bike is still faster than I am (middle pack vet?, but it would be nice to step into some better gear. Then again, that's one less excuse for not scoring a few more points on the weekend.:worthy:

I think it depends on a couple things, 1) whats the value of about $3k to you, 2) do you M/X or off-road and 3) hows your 03 holding up? I've also been trying to decide myself, keep my beloved 07 RMZ 450, or update to a new 450F, and if so which one. I usually get a new bike every other year, I race O/40 Expert off-road and M/X, and the contengency is nice. $3k goes a long way for me. I just pulled the trigger on a new 09 YZ450F for probably about $3k less than what I could get a 10 for. Suzuki dropped off-road contengency, and I have not been impressed with the new 08/09 RMZ 450s which gained weight, lost top end and have and/or need many recalls. For the series I run, Kawasaki pays the best, then Yamaha. I can get the Yami for about $1,200 less than I can find a Kaw, and thats more than the contengency differance would be. I also had a new model in the KTM 07 SX450F, and hated the fact it took almost a season for a big tank to come out. The radical changes on the Yami, could mean a difficult tank and exhaust to make. I'd bet they keep a detuned pipe/silencer on it, and if they keep the same silencer as before, a change may make it necessary to reprogram, another expensive FI gizmo. I've also been reading alot about F/I problems like fuel pumps going out, wiring issues to the pump, sensor problems, systems that can't be fully re-programmed (RMZ) ect. The carbs are working pretty good now, and it's doubtfull gravity will fail to deliver the fuel. Simplicity and a lack of F/I was one reason I decided to go for the 09 YZ. No matter what you decide, the 09 or the 10 will be a huge step forward than your 03, although in reality, don't count on finishes that will be much different.

I'm pretty sure that DR. D will be the first one to have a pipe for it. He's Yamaha's main test rider so he already knows what the bike is, what it needs etc. He will be one of the first ones if not the first one to have a bike to test for aftermarket parts. Enzo will have the suspension settings earlier than anyone else as Ross is Kayabas rep for the oem testing. I can't wait for this bike to come out!

The OEM's do make available a very small pool of bikes and ATV's for fitment and prototyping to most of the major aftermarket companies..Sometimes not enough to go around...as others have said, they "might" get one day with the bike to make something fit. Also, a 2010 Yami 450 has been spotted at one of these very companies...and it's a pretty dramatic revision from the 2009 model !

The only time an aftermarket manufacture gets one early is when the factory race team needs parts early for racing. I know Works Performance got a 08 RMZ450 early as did One Industries for making decals for them. I think One Ind. only got plastics. I know Clarke was sent a pre-production prototype frame, engine, plastics, etc..., to do an oversize GasGas tank one time. Maybe Yamaha will look for some aftermarket support early too.

I'm going to wait a year and let them iron the bugs out before I make any new bike purchases. The YZ450F for 2010 looks pretty interesting but so did the Honda at first.

The frame in that picture isn't the same design as the frame in the patents and cad drawing. I'd say the patents and the cad pictures are the '10.

i wouldnt. did you see how many mistakes there were on the cad? 2 "front fenders", "handlebar holders"... these people arent retarded. they are geniuses making the bikes, so they wouldnt let those kinds of mistakes fly...

i wouldnt. did you see how many mistakes there were on the cad? 2 "front fenders", "handlebar holders"... these people arent retarded. they are geniuses making the bikes, so they wouldnt let those kinds of mistakes fly...
Have you ever read the service manuals they write?

English from Japanese is exceptionally difficult, and the drawing was not supposed to have been released. Probably an early version that hadn't been edited yet.

Have you ever read the service manuals they write?

English from Japanese is exceptionally difficult, and the drawing was not supposed to have been released. Probably an early version that hadn't been edited yet.

yes but i wouldnt expect them to not be able to translate "front" and "rear".

also, i think it looks like a RM-Z. oh, and why would they make the YAMAHA on the fork guard crooked? and why put a gas cap on the complete cad of the bike, but not on the cad of the motor/exhaust/airbox?

#1, Ya, it looks newer, but it's no Zuk. Look at the frame, shape, and the way the plastics mount. It's refined Yamaha.

#2 New fork guards, and everyone favorite "BNGs"

#3 Because the gas cap is on the gas tank, not on the airbox.

The minor details on that CAD are incredibly neat. Notice the Hrizontal reservoir on teh rear shock, two piece shrouds, one for radiator the other for airbox, some of those smaller style number plates we love to hate, the resonance chamber on the muffler, etc... no, none of us are creative enough to make this #$%^ up.

#1, Ya, it looks newer, but it's no Zuk. Look at the frame, shape, and the way the plastics mount. It's refined Yamaha.

#2 New fork guards, and everyone favorite "BNGs"

#3 Because the gas cap is on the gas tank, not on the airbox.

The minor details on that CAD are incredibly neat. Notice the Hrizontal reservoir on teh rear shock, two piece shrouds, one for radiator the other for airbox, some of those smaller style number plates we love to hate, the resonance chamber on the muffler, etc... no, none of us are creative enough to make this #$%^ up.

wait a minute !! im creative enough to do something like that, im just too lazy!:worthy:

To some that want to wait for the bugs to be worked out of such a radical design it is understandable. BUT, I keep thinking about yammies first four strokes...considered radical for sure..my buddys still ride his today and only has one major rebuild in thousands of hours of riding.

If anybody does a first effort right I think its yammie..JMHO

I think that Yamaha has taken this long to make sure it's a solid bike. They haven't had the issues that other manufactures have had when they come out with an all new model. Yamaha is now what Honda used to be, the most reliable/durable bikes made. Obviously Yamaha has better test riders and engineers than the others.