03 yz 450 kick starter grinding noise

1 reply to this topic
  • hudydog

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:25 PM

OK I posted on this a few weeks ago. Now I have torn the crankcase cover off and taken the clutch out. Really nothing is jumping out to me as being a problem in there. The grinding noise it was making is when the bike is running and the kick starter is tucked into position. It just started making the noise so we have not found anything that is broken off or rubbing. Can you guys guidr me a little bit on some things to look for. I have searched the forums but I am still not sure what to look for. Thanks Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2009 - 04:36 PM

The kick starter gear is driven by a ratchet plate. As the starter returns to its rest position, an extension on the ratchet plate is supposed to catch a steel plate bolted to the crankcase and cam the ratchet plate out of engagement with the gear. You need to determine why this is not happening.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.