white or blue?

16 replies to this topic
  • Jake92

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:03 AM

I cant make up my mind. Are you guys happy with your white bikes? Is there extra cleaning involved?

• rdefonce

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:19 AM

I cant make up my mind. Are you guys happy with your white bikes? Is there extra cleaning involved?

White is fine, I've had both. not much diff in cleaning dept.

• rydersdad

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:22 AM

I say go white. I have white. After owning blue yamahas since 01 I now have a white 08. No harder to clean and it doesnt fade like blue.

• DND

Posted April 06, 2009 - 09:58 AM

I wanted blue with black rims so I bought a white SE and had the dealer swap the plastic and seat with a blue one. :thumbsup: I don't see much difference in living with either color as long as you maintain them adequately.

• jcolborn48

Posted April 06, 2009 - 04:11 PM

Only thing with white is dirt shows up in the scratches more, as long as you keep some S.O.S. pads around you should be OK

• erprob

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:43 PM

White is fine, the part the upsets me more is when the shock moves and the the red rubber over the shock gets scractched up. That part seem more visible.

I really like the white look anyway.

• psmith85

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:52 PM

White over Blue. With the black rims and a little red the bike looks sweet.

• NortonMoto

Posted April 06, 2009 - 07:38 PM

I love white yz's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:21 AM

White is the way to go because then you can change it to any color just by changing graphics...

• KJ790

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:23 AM

Personally, I'm a blue man since nobody rides blue ones anymore. Everyone has either white or yellow, so I'm a minority with blue ones.

• nickeenoo

Posted April 08, 2009 - 10:08 AM

I guess cleaning depends on where you ride. I live in the red rocks of southern Utah and the white sucks to clean. The blue doesn't show the dirt much, but everytime I ride my bike I have to get out the magic eraser just to remove the red stains from the plastic.

• ZMoney520

Posted April 08, 2009 - 03:32 PM

The white isn't bad. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a bottle of Goof OFF. After you wash the bike and dry it, put a little on a paper towel and wipe it down. It also takes the black marks out of your graphics and preprinted backgrounds also.

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 08, 2009 - 08:49 PM

I wouldn't use the goof off as it is an adhesive remover...may make the corners of your graphics peel up...use oxyclean on the hard to clean spots, then rinse (as it leaves a white residue if not rinsed)...works like a charm making the plastic bright white again...

• badburn

Posted April 08, 2009 - 10:25 PM

i use paint thinner on the white plastic from riding through the bush, works great but keep it away from the decals, and then armor all for the shine

• ZMoney520

Posted April 09, 2009 - 04:16 PM

I wouldn't use the goof off as it is an adhesive remover...may make the corners of your graphics peel up...use oxyclean on the hard to clean spots, then rinse (as it leaves a white residue if not rinsed)...works like a charm making the plastic bright white again...

I am sure that is a possibility, but I have been using it for 3 years to clean the plasic and my backgrounds and graphics. I haven't had an issue yet. I just put a little on a napkin and wipe it down. I don't pour it all over, so not much even touches the edges of the graphics.

• LaYZ450F

Posted April 09, 2009 - 06:31 PM

OK to the guys that talk about extra cleanning for white, I stop on the way home from riding and give my white 07 YZ450 a quick pressure washing at the car wash. This just removes all the excess build up and mud. Then once I get home the real cleanning starts. I did this with my blue bikes and the white one. I think the real key is do not leave your bike with mud stuck to it. If you do you will have stains on any color.

This is after the bike was a year old and had seen many days of Red clay, Gumbo and black sand riding.
Posted Image

• 8upnmx

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:20 AM

i use paint thinner on the white plastic from riding through the bush, works great but keep it away from the decals, and then armor all for the shine

Don't use thinner whatever u do, it opens up the pours in the plastic and will soften and mainly discolor your white over time and turn it yellow. Like some of the older bikes with white gas tanks, over time the spilt gas turn them yellow, chalky, and brittle. As far as an sos pad goes, NO, its like taking sand paper to it. I have an 09 limited and love it and have no problem with cleaning.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.