WR 450 Doesnt like to turn...

10 replies to this topic
  • DIX

Posted April 06, 2009 - 03:51 AM

OK so my 04 wr 450 reallylikes to stay in straight lines when Im at speed on woods roads. It feels like if I get into it and really try to make it turn, the front wheel will wash out. At first I just thought it was a quirk of the bike, seeing I came off a much smallre and lighter yz250f. But other guys I ride with are flyin around these turns on bigger bikes so I know its either me or the bike.

What might cause something like this? My thinking is that there may be too much sag in the rear, causing the bike to cary its weight back further and making the front tire "Light" anyone have any advice?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2009 - 05:42 AM

Sag setting is very important, as is the correct spring rate to make it possible. The front tire is also important. I like the Dunlop 952.
The most important is riding style.

• WR_Dave

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:10 AM

You don't mention the terrain and the tire you are using on it. As mentioned by Krannie, you have to get the suspension sag settings correct to start with. Then if you are using the stock front tire , it is a P.O.S. Next get forward on the bike for turns and possibly slide the forks up in the clamps another 5 - 10mm. WR Dave.

• YamaLink

Posted April 06, 2009 - 07:42 AM

To add to what others have said - and I believe it's a combo of sag, fork height and maybe tire, sometimes a fork's rebound being set too slow hinders turning because the front wheel is packing up. On the flip side, if rebound is too fast the front wheel is "nervous" coming into the rough corner and/or wanders during the turn.

But I'd check sag first and then fork height.

• waterman7474

Posted April 06, 2009 - 09:10 AM

i really had a problem with this as well.

setting the rebound so that the fork comes back out a little faster (not sure of term to describe) seemed to help.

the biggest help was fork height. putting them a mil or two below the line made a HUGE difference!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted April 06, 2009 - 09:20 AM

The Zip-Ty triple clamps help a bunch if you can't get it to work by setting the sag and adjusting the fork height. Yammies tend to push more than other bikes. Or at least they do with my riding style.

Good luck!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 06, 2009 - 09:27 AM

I went through the same thing with my 05 wr450. I now can really get the bike to turn when I want it to. I decided to setup my bike to turn too sharply just to see the difference in the turning. I was able to sort it all out.

here is what I did.

Get the proper rear and front springs . Personally, I like the stiffer spring. I'm 205lbs w/o gear and I have a 5.8 on the rear.

Set the sag to 95-100mm. No more than that

Drop the forks in the clamps about 1/4 - 3/8 inch (this does the trick)

13lbs of air in the front with heavy duty tube (I love the rocks, never got a flat)

D756 or Pirelli Scorpion tire on the front (I prefer the Pirelli)

Then adjust the fork rebound per the manual.

You will notice a big improvement in how the front end sticks.

If anything, my bike oversteers a bit, which is better than the washout feeling that I had before. I don't always get up on the tank like I should and I can now turn confidently in a neutral riding position.

On a rare occasion, the front end will want to dig in on sharp turns in sand. But I am carrying so much more momentum now that its rarely an issue.

I'll probably drop the forks in the clamps just a bit (no more than 1/4) so I can try to fix this. But then again, I might just leave it alone because its pretty darn good.

• DIX

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replys guys Ill give these a try.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 06, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replys guys Ill give these a try.

nutz on tank.:thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:09 PM

nutz on tank.:thumbsup:

.....and put your foot waaaay out there, with all your weight on the outside peg.....

• DrBosa

Posted April 06, 2009 - 11:00 PM

Lowered my front end 5 mm (about 0.2 inches) since I experienced the bike would push forward in tight corners. Made a _huge_ difference. The flip side is it gets a little wobblier in higher speeds.

Sag is also important, too much sag rear would make the bike push hard. Also you might consider increasing the rear rebound damping. Remember, a couple of clicks on the rebound (rear) also makes the compression stiffer, that's how a rear damper works.
Good luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.