YZ 426F gearing

6 replies to this topic
  • johnyd05

Posted April 05, 2009 - 07:45 PM

I am new to riding. I went out with some buddies in the woods. I was on a YZF 426F. The bike at idle in first gear was going way faster than anyone else. I believe it is stock gearing... a 49 sprocket in back and stock in front. What gears should I go to slow the bike down? first gear in my bike was like 2 gear in my buddies kawasaki 250F. I rode his bike and like being able to get into 2 and 3rd gear. What gears are recomeneded. I hope that makes sense.

• johnyd05

Posted April 05, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Also is there any way to get a lower seat. I cant put both feet on the ground while sitting on the seat. I wish I could.

• travisn

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:53 PM

If you go up in the rear or down in the front it will make your bike slower at the top end, but youll be able to get into second or third more (like on tight trails)

I am thinking of doing this to my 400 because I never use 4th or 5th except when tearing down the street, which doesnt happen that much so its useless.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jmckinney

Posted April 07, 2009 - 12:09 PM

Here in California I ride tight trails with a 12 in the front and a 51 in the rear... This helped me from stalling all the time... You may want to consider a fly wheel weight also...

• DrThumper

Posted April 07, 2009 - 12:24 PM

My '00 426 was stock with a 49 rear. For woods I initially changed it to a 52. Since then I added the Free Power Now, an accelerator pump cover (R&D I believe) and changed some jetting as I moved up to the Rocky Mountains.With the improved throttle response and lower end I went to a 51, now I'm running a 50 in the woods. Almost back to stock...

• Robbydalejr

Posted April 07, 2009 - 02:43 PM

I ride with a 12/51. A lot of woods riding and hill climbing and it's perfect. Made a huge difference(from a 13/49) works fine in desert too! No need to go that fast anyways

• dacon1

Posted April 07, 2009 - 02:58 PM

Lower seat ?

Remove your seat... take out the staples. Take out a turkey carving knife (thats what I used) and shave the seat to the height you want (keep in mind you dont want to hurt your ass sitting on it). Smooth out the edge of the seat, and put the leather back on the seat. Heat it up with a heatgun / blowdrier, and stretch it over the seat (There will be excess on the bottom due to missing foam). Staple it back in. Wala! 2.5 -3 inches saved on your bike.

You can also get a lowering link for it... I Got one from mountain motorsports for $200 and loved it. 15 minutes to install, another 1.2-2 inches down.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.