BRP needs more low end

5 replies to this topic
  • palspkr

Posted February 26, 2003 - 06:33 PM

I Have s '01 BRP with Edlebrock carb, FMF hi-flo header and Q exhaust, with opened intake/uni-filter. The bike runs quite well, especially for desert riding (so cal). I am wondering how I might get a little more off-idle grunt. It has been suggested to me that the stock header pipe works best for this. Or, a FMF "Power Bomb" header. Any suggestions? I have already geared down to 14/50. Thanks

• qadsan

Posted February 26, 2003 - 07:10 PM

Going back to the stock header if its smaller than the header you're currently using will help out in the low to range, but you'll also loose some top end performance. You could also gear down a bit more by swapping out the front sprocket with a 13T. With a 13/50 setup, you'd still have a maximum top speed of about 86 MPH as opposed to a maximum speed of 93 MPH with the 14/50 setup.

If you go with the Power Bomb header, the Bomb part of the header might slghtly interfere with the Edelbrock carb. In the past I've talked to one person who slightly indented his Bomb portion of the header to make it fit the Edelbrock and he was happy with that solution. I've also talked to another person who didn't want to indent the Bomb, so he canted the Edelbrock a bit so it cleared the Bomb and everything worked fine. The stock header is a good design and you can pick them up cheap on Ebay if you don't have your's anymore, but the gearing change might be just the ticket you're after and its also inexpensive.

• palspkr

Posted February 26, 2003 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the information. I do have some concern over a smaller front sprocket: additional stress on an already weakpoint on the BRP: the countershaft and seal. Definitely lower cost than the rear, though. I still have the stock header. I wonder if it will fit with the Q pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted February 27, 2003 - 01:54 AM

I run a 13 tooth sprocket last season and it worked fine.
The c/s seal problem was not affected by the sprocket size, I believe the seal design and crankcase pressure from a pinched vent line was the problem.

• palspkr

Posted February 27, 2003 - 05:24 AM

Good deal. Thanks

• RunAnywhere

Posted February 27, 2003 - 12:11 PM

I have the t4 pro circuit tail pipe. It has three different tips. Smaller for more low, etc.. Is this an option on yours? I've been curious how much this affects perdormance.

Good luck,

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.