How to charge B.D. battery?

8 replies to this topic
  • Chaindrive

Posted February 26, 2003 - 06:33 PM

My bike has a Baja Designs kit on it, including the original tiny NiCad(?) battery. It has been in there since '99. It has lost most of it's charge over the winter, and it's too cold to ride enough to try to charge it, but I may soon need to prove it will light the taillight w/o the bike running for the required 20 or 30 min.

Can I use my little motorcycle trickle charger on this? If not, what might work?
If a new battery is necessary, are there any better ones available (not that I can complain about the longevity of this one, but technology may have improved over the past few years.) Size is an issue. This one is @ the size of a pack of smokes.

• Jim_Patterson

Posted February 27, 2003 - 02:40 AM

I used the same set up from baja. You should not use the trickle charger. If your batteries are wrapped in plastic, go to Radio Shack and get their small flat 4 AA battery holder $2.00. Put AA rechargabls in it an remount it on your bike. The best AA rechargable batterys available are 1600 ma Nickel metal Hydride and are available at most stores and camera shops. You can charge them with a special charger, which if you shop around doesn't cost too much (Best Buy, Circuit city, Kmart, etc).
The problem I remember is that they were mounted between the air box and the outer cover which made them hard to get at. I still don't understand the requirement of needing your lights to work for any length of time when the engines not running. When an engine dies I'm headed for the side of the road right now.

• Chaindrive

Posted February 27, 2003 - 04:25 AM

Jim,
That sounds like a great idea, but wouldn't I want 2 of those 4-packs to equal 12 volts? Also, does the circuit board doohickey mounted with the battery somehow enable the bike to charge it? It usually does a good job of retaining a charge. You are right about the location making it hard to see/get to what is there.

My local Radio Shack... :) those guys... :D whole 'nother story... :D

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 27, 2003 - 06:47 AM

I used a trickle charger on my BD battery pack and fried it. :) Damn thing never worked all that well, anyway.

So I got a small 1.2 ah sealed lead-acid battery and replaced the BD pack. It's small enough to just fit where the old battery went. It's got a lot more capacity and can be recharged by a regular trickle chager such as a Battery Tender. Here's a link to one I found Also, it's much cheaper than the BD battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim_Patterson

Posted February 27, 2003 - 07:50 AM

Chaindrive.
Hmmmm maybe it was a double sided battery holder. Sorry it's been awhile.

• Chaindrive

Posted February 27, 2003 - 07:52 AM

Rich,
I really like that one! The price is definitely right! The only concern I would have is are they truly sealed?

Every lead/acid battery I have ever seen, sealed or not, has to be able to vent. This also means they could possibly boil or spill acid into my airbox (remember, I crash too much :)), or emit explosive fumes.

Have you had either of these issues?

Thanks! Scott

• Jim_Patterson

Posted February 27, 2003 - 07:55 AM

Rich
That seems like a good idea.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 27, 2003 - 09:52 AM

"...Every lead/acid battery I have ever seen, sealed or not, has to be able to vent. This also means they could possibly boil or spill acid into my airbox (remember, I crash too much ), or emit explosive fumes.

Have you had either of these issues?"

Nope. And I'll bet I crash more than you do :)

I just though of something. Just to be safe, I always disconnect the battery from the rest of the bike when I use the charger. I've fried a couple of voltage regulators on a couple of different bikes when I left them connected. It may have been coincidence, but it's too expensive to not do it.

• Chaindrive

Posted February 27, 2003 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, Rich! I'm ordering one of those batteries. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.