quick question on ignition cover removal

2 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted April 04, 2009 - 08:46 PM

finally getting around to replacing the stator on my '07.
it's been sitting dead for several months with what I presume is a bad stator. (couldn't work on it for quite a while due to another shoulder surgery)
sooo, my question is, can i remove the ignition cover with the bike sitting upright on a stand without a huge amount of oil leaking all over, or do i need to drain the cases first?
thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2009 - 09:22 PM

If you run the engine first, yes. In this case, it doesn't sound like you can do that. But check the oil level at the dip stick. '06+ models don't seem to drain back to the sump as readily as the older ones, and if the oil is near normal, you probably can stand it up and work on it. You can always just lay it over, too.

• swatdoc

Posted April 04, 2009 - 10:15 PM

OK thanks Gray!

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.