WR450F forks

7 replies to this topic
  • uprightchicken

Posted April 04, 2009 - 04:44 PM

Anyone know if the WR450F forks disassemble like YZ450F forks? I've never personally had WR forks apart. I had my YZs apart and just curious to find out how close they are.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2009 - 04:57 PM

Anyone know if the WR450F forks disassemble like YZ450F forks? I've never personally had WR forks apart. I had my YZs apart and just curious to find out how close they are.

I believe that YZ forks are all cartridge style, and WR are oil bath type.
This surely changes on the WR in the later years.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 04, 2009 - 07:25 PM

It depends on the year. What year wr and yz are you talking about

03 and earlier yz and wr forks should be similar
04 yz forks changed to 48mm
05 yz and wr forks changed to AOSS 48mm
06 and up yz fork changed to 48mm SSS forks
07 and up wr forks changed to 48mm SSS forks

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 05, 2009 - 10:24 PM

07 and up wr forks changed to 48mm SSS forks

heh I wish.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • idamoh

Posted April 06, 2009 - 12:21 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but in the newer bikes the WR forks are open cartridge and the YZ are twin chamber. Do a search on Cartridge forks on Youtube and there are some pretty decent videos on changing seals, oil, etc.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 06, 2009 - 12:45 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but in the newer bikes the WR forks are open cartridge and the YZ are twin chamber. Do a search on Cartridge forks on Youtube and there are some pretty decent videos on changing seals, oil, etc.

No need to correct :thumbsup:

and +2 on the youtube videos, they will walk you through the entire process :confused:

• chevy power

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:09 PM

I did fork seals on my 03 today. It wasnt any harder than some older xr250 forks and a 1984 honda shadow forks. I had a manual each time and it always is good to have one handy.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:22 PM

heh I wish.

Hmmm.... I stand corrected.

On the wish list of things to get for my 01 yz was some 07 wr forks. I guess it will be 08 wr forks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.