spoke question

4 replies to this topic
  • honyam83

Posted April 04, 2009 - 01:40 PM

What holds the spokes from turning in the hub? Do they have some kind of shoulder like a carriage bolt? I found several lose spokes, read some threads on wheel truing, and commenced tightening. Some of the just spun. I hope that I don't need new hubs. Oh, it's the rear wheel on a 426 '01. I don't know if that matters but thought that I should throw that in. Thanks in advance.

• KJ790

Posted April 04, 2009 - 01:46 PM

The spokes have a slight bend near the end before they go in the hub. There isn't anything keeping them from spinning other than the geometry of the bend in the spoke in relation to where the spoke goes through the hub and where the spoke goes through the rim. It sounds like your spoke nipple has corroded to the spoke, which is common if the spoke threads where not lubed before assembly, especially on wheels that are a couple years old. Spray some penetrating oil on the threads, let it sit, then hold the spoke with pliers while turning the nipple. If all goes well you should be able to turn the nipple on the spoke this way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honyam83

Posted April 04, 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, I have already sprayed them. Do you know if you can true a wheel with the tire on, I can't seem to get the tire off. I've done several, but this one is a bear. (fix-a-flat maybe). I may have to cut the tire off.

• KJ790

Posted April 04, 2009 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, I have already sprayed them. Do you know if you can true a wheel with the tire on, I can't seem to get the tire off. I've done several, but this one is a bear. (fix-a-flat maybe). I may have to cut the tire off.

If you are going to use a truing stand then you may have trouble fitting it on the stand with the tire on. If you are going to true it on the bike then you should be able to do it with the tire on, though it is easier without the tire.

• honyam83

Posted April 04, 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks again, out to the garage I go.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.