ok pop quiz.

6 replies to this topic

Posted April 04, 2009 - 12:52 PM

ok i put a new factory connection rear spring on for my body weaight. ok in the process of takeing it apart the rear shock oil. i have ben looking all over and i can not for the life of me find out how much oil the rear shock takes. i even looked at the tec manuals at my dealership and could not find it.

• bg10459

Posted April 04, 2009 - 05:19 PM

about 1/2 quart.

Posted April 04, 2009 - 09:40 PM

i would like to know the exact amount as i am putting a full new suspension and i want it perfect. i would hate to spend the money i am and not have it come out 100%

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2009 - 10:43 PM

As I understand it, to rebuild this shock you will need some special skills and knowledge: removing the nitrogen gas, removing the bladder without damaging it, changing the shim stack to match your new spring weight (the rebound damping will be way to weak with the heavier spring), re-installation of nitrogen gas, etc.

The service manual says nothing about rebuilding the shock.

Try posting in the Suspension forum, or contact Smart Performance: http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/

• bg10459

Posted April 05, 2009 - 06:40 AM

i would like to know the exact amount as i am putting a full new suspension and i want it perfect. i would hate to spend the money i am and not have it come out 100%

Well, there is no "level" for a shock; just fill it up. It's something like 440-450 ml, but you'll need a quart. I'm rebuilding/revalving now with DaveJ's help and one 18 oz. bottle of his oil is enough.

Here's a link to his procedure. It really makes things easy :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...t=shock rebuild

Posted April 05, 2009 - 03:04 PM

thanks for the info. i would of never done this except i just read in dirt rider that they did a full write up on the wr and said they did a full factory connection job on it. so i called factory connection and asked what they did. and they said all they do is add all there parts i can order from work. so i just figured i would give it a go. i am also and have alloways ben way to heavy for the stock spring and forks. i am around 250 with my gear on and as i can tell form the books these bikes are built for a guy between 15-175. so i needed a boost. i am going to call the RTA from yamaha and see what they say. but all they usually have is a service manual like we all do. LOL

Posted April 07, 2009 - 06:56 AM

i just called the rta for yamaha and they said they dont know or reccomend doing this. and said that they reccomend people just replace the rear shock. LOL. i asked him if he was kidding me. LOL:banghead:
i asked him if he know off the reccord a ball park and he said that he had no idea. LOL:bonk:
so now back to the drawing board. so i am going to just wing it and see how it goes. god i want this thing done by this weekend. i am getting tired of rideing my 250 2s:ride:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.