Dunlop MX51 & MX31

17 replies to this topic
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted April 03, 2009 - 08:10 PM

Anybody try these out yet? I ride SoCal desert and was thinking about a 31 in the front and a 51 in the rear. The front also comes in a 90-100-21. Cyclegear and Motorsportoutlet have them. I am running Gray's favorites - 755 front and 952 rear which I do like, but these new ones look like they have a better side bite. Comments?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:15 PM

Both those new fronts are interesting, aren't they?

• ccie2be

Posted April 04, 2009 - 06:26 AM

I'd like to hear a report as well.

• Slinkyman16

Posted April 04, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Im waiting for mine to arive, but i was able to test ride a buddies bike who had them on their.. and they grip just like the 756s.. just last way longer(from the claims) and u can see where they took a step foward from the rr series and made the carcuss alot more durable.. but as far as hookup.. they have the same feel as the RR series, Which i loved btw..

• Troutman

Posted April 04, 2009 - 02:50 PM

I have a set of the MX51's and have ridden them 1 time at thunder valley in lakewood (intermediate terrain). Seem to be as good as the 756's, hoping they will last longer, time will tell. The carcass is stiffer they were also slightly harder to mount.

• rickallen124

Posted April 04, 2009 - 08:50 PM

I tried the MX51's today and they worked as well as the 756 in the intermediate terrain but not as well in the really loose sand sections. It was hard to get an accurate asesment of them as the track was changed from the way it was last week with there being alot more sand this time. The carcass does seem quite a bit stiffer than the 756. The rear is great, but I struggled with the difference in the front compared to the 756 in the sand sections. I wonder if the 51 has gone more towards the int/hard than the 756 was.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted April 05, 2009 - 02:51 AM

I tried the MX51's today and they worked as well as the 756 in the intermediate terrain but not as well in the really loose sand sections. It was hard to get an accurate asesment of them as the track was changed from the way it was last week with there being alot more sand this time. The carcass does seem quite a bit stiffer than the 756. The rear is great, but I struggled with the difference in the front compared to the 756 in the sand sections. I wonder if the 51 has gone more towards the int/hard than the 756 was.

Per Dunlop's website the MX51 is an intermediate tire, whereas the the 756 is an intermediate to soft terrain tire. The MX31 is a soft to mud terrain tire and will be better for sandy/loose sections. This is why I started the post considering a 31 front and a 51 rear. It would be good to hear any comments on the MX31 for the track or desert. Maybe Dunlop will make a MX41 - intermediate to soft terrain tire.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Dunlop considers the MX31 a replacement for the 773, which is a soft terrain tire. The MX51 is, as you say, a mid/hard, according to their web site. But what Dunlop is trying to achieve is the creation of tires that work in a wider soil range, and many of their newer designs have accomplished this to some extent. The 952 is as near a "universal" tire as they have ever made. It isn't truly stellar anywhere but it works across a very wide spread of soil types, and that's important to a California rider. The 745 is a very good tire for soils running toward hard from softer intermediate, and is a good choice where you're trying to decide between a 756 and a 739.

So, they're making some progress. It will be interesting to see how these work.

• rickallen124

Posted April 05, 2009 - 03:58 PM

Dunlop claims that the MX51 is the replacement for the 756 with better hard pack perfomance but still as good in the soft. I think that the MX31 front looks more similar to the 756 though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mc1hd

Posted April 05, 2009 - 04:31 PM

I have two rides on the mx51's they seem to be decent tires so far. The rear was a booger to mount though, even let it sit in the sun for a couple hours before hand. Rear tire is showing normal wear for dunlops, I do not have alot of faith that these will be long lasting tires.

• mxracer206

Posted April 06, 2009 - 03:30 AM

The MX51 rear has similar side knobs to the 745 with the center being set up more for intermediate dirt. As long as the center knobs hold up it should be a good tire and not shed the side knobs like the 756. My son likes the look of the front as it looks similar to the Bridgestones he likes. The 745's ft and rear have become my favorite tire for everything but loamy dirt, best traction and feel I have ever had in intermediate to hard. Most tracks in Ok are great practice and first moto but end up a little hard by the end of the day. I hope the MX51 is not as hard to mount as the 745, my tire machine grunts louder than the guy that has to mount it.

• rickallen124

Posted April 06, 2009 - 06:23 AM

So, the question for me is wether or not the mx31 has become more of an soft/int tire than the 773 was and is actually closer to the 756. The track that I ride is a mix of hard pack, intermediate and some deep sand sections. The 756 worked well over the whole track. The mx51 is just a completly different tire and I need to make some adjustments in the way I ride the bike compared to the 756. I would like to try the mx31 but not if it is going to wear extremely fast, chunk off, in the hard pack sections. One thing I did notice that was interesting is that the tread depth of the mx31 and mx51 are the same as far as the front tire goes which usually isn't the case going between a int and sand tire.

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:07 AM

Does anyone run Michelin Starcross? I have a 756 on the front and run a starcross on the back 110-90-19. I like the narrower tire, helps roll into corners well and it is a extremely durable tire compared to a dunlop rear. I always thought dunlops were good, but the rear wears incredibly fast if you use it too long. Dunlop just likes you to buy their tires, and frequently.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 06, 2009 - 10:51 AM

Does anyone run Michelin Starcross? I have a 756 on the front and run a starcross on the back 110-90-19. I like the narrower tire, helps roll into corners well and it is a extremely durable tire compared to a dunlop rear. I always thought dunlops were good, but the rear wears incredibly fast if you use it too long. Dunlop just likes you to buy their tires, and frequently.

I run Starcross' front and rear and love em best handling tire out there IMO.

• ea844c

Posted April 06, 2009 - 02:52 PM

I emailed a pearson that test rides for dunlop and he told me that they have been testing the MX51 for the past 2 years. He said they are a better and longer lasting tire than the D756.

• FinchFan194

Posted April 06, 2009 - 02:57 PM

I emailed a pearson that test rides for dunlop and he told me that they have been testing the MX51 for the past 2 years. He said they are a better and longer lasting tire than the D756.

I think if I put butter on for tires it would last longer than a 756 my buddy runs em and I can get near new RR for 10 bucks but I hate the way they handle and they simply don't last.

• Troutman

Posted April 06, 2009 - 05:51 PM

Nothing about the MX31 or MX51 but good shootout info on the top intermediate tires.

http://www.motocross...F9CAC18CE08AF46

I have had three of the tires listed and the info here is very accurate from my personal experience.

• wiles426

Posted April 07, 2009 - 06:13 AM

I have 3 rides on my mx31 and love it.I bought a set but have not installed the rear yet. my rear still has a good edge on it.As for the front I'm very happy with it . I would say the tire is a loose to intermediate tire than just a sand tire.I think it gives great control.the track I ride the most is a sand clay mix and it works great.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.