fuel leaking petcock

4 replies to this topic
  • sixinchsloth

Posted August 19, 2002 - 10:39 AM

my '01 426 started leaking gas from the petcock yesterday. I've already talked to 2 people who have replaced their whole tank becouse of the tank cracking between the petcock and tank.(factory defect?)anyone know of a quick fix that doesn't cost $200. Please help me!

[ August 19, 2002, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: sixinchsloth ]

• Hick

Posted August 19, 2002 - 10:53 AM

Replace the whole tank when the petcock leaks?

I won't even go there...

Petcock Seal: 3AJ-24534-00-00 $2.00
Packing: 3AJ-24523-00-00 $3.70

I forget which is which, one is the plastic seal between valve and inlet, one is the o-ring. You likely only need the latter but for a few dollars more...

You can also buy the entire petcock for about twenty bucks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dean400

Posted August 19, 2002 - 11:48 AM

Have you had the gas tank empty for a while?

I have a WR400 that I drained the gas tank for winter storage. In spring, I filled the tank and the petcock leaked for a couple days, then stopped. I figured that the gasket shrank without fuel, then swelled up with fuel.

• Thumpin'_Canuck

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:23 PM

If you need and can't afford a new tank right away you could use JB Weld. It's a super epoxy that comes in larger tubes similar to model glue. You just mix and muck back together what ever you have broken. I once used it on an old snowmobile's crankcase. Good luck. TC

• Thumpin'_Canuck

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:26 PM

Note to self: Read posts more carefully. That guy said petcock leak, not tank leak.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.