stock mufflers/headers questions. gray?

9 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted April 03, 2009 - 12:39 PM

I've been thinking for the last few minutes about some experiment I want to do, & I have some questions. I've got an 07 wr450 with a 2006 stock yz450 muffler & a pro-circuit stainless header that was supposed to be designed for the 06 yz450. The bike has good power, but I'm always thinking of things to do to it. So I've got a practically brand new stock 08 header sitting in a box, that thing is way fatter than the PC header. So I'm wondering if I would benefit from modding the midpipe on the muffler to accommodate the 08 header. Would the larger diameter of the 08 header add low/mid/top power? or would it possibly rob power from the motor? Any ideas? I know the shorty 08 muffler is crap, but what about the header?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2009 - 02:21 PM

The '08 header is as big as it is to compensate fro the restrictive nature of the muffler. It probably wouldn't work out so well.

• erickdj

Posted April 03, 2009 - 02:41 PM

The '08 header is as big as it is to compensate fro the restrictive nature of the muffler. It probably wouldn't work out so well.

do you think the larger diameter would rob performance vs. the smaller header? If it was larger to compensate for the restriction of the shorty, how do you think the 06 muffler would react to it?

• mywifefarts

Posted April 03, 2009 - 08:37 PM

do you think the larger diameter would rob performance vs. the smaller header? If it was larger to compensate for the restriction of the shorty, how do you think the 06 muffler would react to it?

There would probably be less velocity using the bigger diameter header.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2009 - 08:37 PM

Poorly. The result would likely be a dip in peak with no corresponding gains elsewhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, useful information. It seems to me like I've hit a wall with the bike's power gains, probably would have to go with a HC piston to gain any more significant amounts of power. The WR already has all the typical mods, airbox, grey wire, jetted, 06 yz exhaust, 06 yz cams. Am I missing anything?

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:14 PM

No offense, but why not just buy a YZ? Seems a bit more practical than trying to turn a WR into a YZ.

• erickdj

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:42 PM

No offense, but why not just buy a YZ? Seems a bit more practical than trying to turn a WR into a YZ.

no offense taken at all, and not to be a smart @ss myself, but read my sig, I already have a yz. It's not that I'm trying to make the wr a yz clone, I just have the itch to make it run the best way possible, and it so happens to be that it resembles a yz in it's current state.

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 04, 2009 - 06:50 AM

no offense taken at all, and not to be a smart @ss myself, but read my sig, I already have a yz. It's not that I'm trying to make the wr a yz clone, I just have the itch to make it run the best way possible, and it so happens to be that it resembles a yz in it's current state.

Ok, I can completely understand your constant need to improve your wr. If I had the money right now I'd be throwing every performance part on my 450 along with a port and polish lol. btw "Eats CRF450R's for breakfast and spits out their valves..." made me laugh.

• erickdj

Posted April 04, 2009 - 08:04 AM

btw "Eats CRF450R's for breakfast and spits out their valves..." made me laugh.

hahhaa, it's humorous and at the same time it pushes buttons with the honda owners. I came up with that last year after spanking some hondas on a couple of hillclimbs. The look on the guy's face was priceless when I beat him.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.