what to look for when buying a wr400?

4 replies to this topic
  • Omagyz250

Posted April 02, 2009 - 11:02 PM

hi all

Im a yz 250 2 stroke man myself, but have a friend whos looking at buying a used wr400. im no expert with the 4 stroke machines and he has asked me to come and check it out with him.

Im just wondering what i should look out for in regards to not buying a lemon with the need to rebuild the head shortly after.

Ie will a worn out bike be harder to start than normal? will it make unusual sounds from around the head area?

any advise would be great, i can check the suspension and other parts for him but its the motor that could be the problem.

cheers:thumbsup:

• pablo83

Posted April 04, 2009 - 10:48 AM

hi all

Im a yz 250 2 stroke man myself, but have a friend whos looking at buying a used wr400. im no expert with the 4 stroke machines and he has asked me to come and check it out with him.

Im just wondering what i should look out for in regards to not buying a lemon with the need to rebuild the head shortly after.

Ie will a worn out bike be harder to start than normal? will it make unusual sounds from around the head area?

any advise would be great, i can check the suspension and other parts for him but its the motor that could be the problem.

cheers:thumbsup:

Best way to check the engine is with a compression tester. The WR400 did not come with an auto decompression cam, so you can check compression pretty easily. If you don't want to bring the tools to do a compression test, then feeling out the engine with the kick start is a good idea. You should not be able to push the engine thru compression without using the decomp lever. Well really you can, but it feels like your going to break your knee.

One of the biggest problems with this bike is off idle bog. But that's just a matter of adjusting the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted April 04, 2009 - 11:02 AM

If a bike is clapped out you'll be able to blow through the compression stroke without touching the decompression lever. Run away fast!

If the bike's engine is in good repair and the carb is tuned correctly it should light off within the first 3 kicks when stone cold and 1-2 kicks when warm. Any more than that is trouble IMO.

I'd look for any cracks in the frame mostly around the footpeg supports and on the frame downtube where the oil tank is. Then after that look at the basics like slop in the chassis bearings, resistance or weird noises coming from the wheel bearings, airfilter condition, oil condition, and look to see if anything on the bike has been rigged up in the electrical connections.

• Omagyz250

Posted April 04, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info i'll probably not take a comp tester with me so it will come down to feel of the kick starter.

thanks again

:thumbsup:

• bluebreadtruck

Posted April 04, 2009 - 06:09 PM

your not going to get a compression tester in easily at all. you have to take the tank off and the plug is WAYY down in the head.

Since its a 400 and has no auto decompresson cam, you should be able to stand on the kickstarter and it should hold you, it like said above, you can kick it over easy without the decomp lever then you have issues.

check for leaks, and bad engine noise...these engines are a bit noisy though.

take it for a ride, that will tell you everything

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.