Oil level - 2002 YZ426F

5 replies to this topic
  • Rotem_46

Posted April 02, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hey,
I have a question regarding oil level of my YZ426F, I was told (by the previous owner) that the way to check the oil level of this bike is to start the bike and ride it for a few minutes, then let it rest for like 5 minutes then clean the gauge and check the oil...Now, just so you know, when I checked it when the bike was cold, the gauge was dry so I'm a little afraid that I'm not doing it right (everybody told me that the right way to check an oil of a motor is when its cold).
Can anyone please tell me how I should do it as every ride (like 3 hours ride) I have to add some oil when my friends 2005 CRF250R doesn't lose an ounce and I'm worry that the problem is the oil checking!!
Thanks for your help guys.
BTW, is it possible that the Yamahas engine burn oil when the Hondas doesn't? I mean, I had a 2003 Honda CBR954RR and my friend (the one with the CRF250R) had a 1998 R1 and every ride he had to add a lot of oil when I didn't lose anything for the entire time I owned it (a year and a half)...

• 642MX

Posted April 02, 2009 - 06:32 PM

The correct way is to start the bike, let it idle (don't rev it) for 2 minutes, shut it off and wait one minute, then check it.

Unlike the CRF, the YZF's hold the oil in the frame and use very little while running. Keeping the level perfectly on the full mark is not that important.

Any 4 stroke will burn some oil when pushed hard. I don't think its a brand thing, it has more to do with the oil condition, engine condition, etc...

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:37 PM

If you let the engine cool off, oil will begin to drain from the frame tank into the crankcases, and that will give you an inaccurate reading. The way you were told to check it was correct. The engine must be run for a minimum of 60 seconds in order to check the oil. The best time to check it is just when you shut it off for the day. Then you'll know how much it has in it when you start it up next time. Healthy YZF's burn almost no oil.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rotem_46

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for your help guys, now I know I'm ok...:-)

• adens13

Posted May 03, 2009 - 05:57 PM

is the procedure for checking oil the same for a 99 400? i had the same oil level question? thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 03, 2009 - 06:37 PM

Yes it is.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.