fork seals

10 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:12 PM

i need to replaced my front fork seals. i talked to a shop that said 90bucks plus parts. i was looking in the book and it tells me that i need a few tools that i dont have. now can i replace them with out the special tools, or id it better to have the shop take care of it. :thumbsup:

• YoungGun360

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:28 PM

go here and it will explain how to change them. gl.

http://www.motosport...dirtbike/tv.php

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:11 PM

What year?

• 642MX

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:14 PM

I made my "special" tools myself. I'm not that crafty, but I managed to notch out a pipe that works well to completely disassemble the forks. Actually, you don't need any special tools to replace the seals, but if you want to take them completely apart (and do it right) you'll need to make your own or buy the correct tool.

• zaxcar1

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:20 PM

its a 2002

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:55 PM

The only special tool you should have is a seal driver, which you can get for $40-60 dollars. The dampers do not have to be removed for the purpose of this job, so you can skip that part.

• Family Man

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Tusk tools at rockymountainatv.com. I Purchased the Tusk fork tools includes the nut and specialwrench, only 20 bucks. Cheapest price I have seen. Top notch tools, Im happy with them.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:08 PM

I just got crafty with some abs piping and made my own. Works really well and I haven't had to change my seals in over 6 months now.

• lanham

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:26 AM

I also suggest that you clean your seals first with a seal mate, picture negative, etc. before changing your seals. I will get leaky seals and a good cleaning stops the leaking. I think a lot of people freek out and think their seals are ruined when they see them leaking. I will bet you 9 out of 10 times they are only dirty.

• zaxcar1

Posted April 03, 2009 - 12:45 PM

how long should the fork seals last? all i do is trail riding.

• 642MX

Posted April 03, 2009 - 06:20 PM

how long should the fork seals last? all i do is trail riding.

Mine used to last 4-6 months. Since I went with the Seal Savers, they last well over a year. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.