no oil in sump

3 replies to this topic
  • barry sheene

Posted April 02, 2009 - 12:17 PM

First off this is my first post and a bit long winded (hello all)

I purchased a 2000 wr400 a couple of months ago and decided to do a street legal conversion
I followed many instructions but mainly THIS one as all the bits looked exactly the same as my bike
Everything went to plan and this week was the first time to try it (commuting)

The first day it worked fine but the second day it stopped charging the battery. I used it again the next day and it was the same = no charging

I did all the usual checks and traced it to the stator. Remembering what I had read about the floating earth not touching the magneto I figured that is what was happening. So I started to strip it down again to have a look. My problems started when I came to drop the sump oil as I only got about a quarter of a litre out of it even though the oil tank measured to the max fill.
i drained the oil out the tank and got about 3/4 litre so a total of 1litre in the bike

I carried on and removed the fly wheel and low and behold the wire had touched it. more worrying was the fact that the protective heat shrink I had used to stop it shorting was missing :confused:

Now I am presuming this could have something to do with the oil situation
My big questions are do you think this could be the cause or do know of another reason there would be no oil in the sump ?
If this is the cause will this be a complete engine strip down ?
any recommendations would be appreciated

great forum BTW creep creep :thumbsup:

• barry sheene

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:08 AM

ok after initial shock of only draining 1/4 out the sump i read its a dry sump
obvious when you think about it
but even though its a dry sump surely there should be more than a 1/4 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:46 AM

If you hadn't run the bike in a while - it'll be close to dry - have you ever read up on how to check your oil on that bike? - you have to run it, then check it within 1 minute, otherwise your sump drains off and you get no reading on the dipstick.
Also - without removing all exterior lines and oil filter , your bike should only take 1.5L, change the filter as well, 1.6L, do a rebuild - 1.7L.
Now, on to your heat shrink - I presume it wasn't overly big in size, it's plastic so it won't harm anything and your pickup on the clutch side has a screen on it (about 1.5" Diameter), as well, your frame at the bottom also has a screen (which should be cleaned occasionally), so the likely hood of this heat shrink making it into any of your oil passages is very slim to none.

• barry sheene

Posted April 03, 2009 - 12:16 PM

yes i read about checking the oil it just did not sink in why it should work that way. like i say obvious when you think about it
also gave the oil amount a bit of thought and it seems about right by the time you add the oil lines and filter into consideration
never having a dry sumper before, panic set in when i tried to drain it lol
what made it worse was i find it difficult to select neutral when engine is warm
i put 2 and 2 together and got 5

i read in another thread it has two pumps
first one to pump oil around engine and second to pump oil back to tank.
is the second one the one your talking about ?
i know about the screen in the tank will have to find more out about the screen on the pump
i was thinking of just stripping the pumps to double check and giving it a good flush out.
the screen you mention might save stripping at least one of the pumps :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.