Input on Fork/Shock Sprint Replacement-'09 YZ450F

5 replies to this topic
  • sro2004

Posted April 02, 2009 - 10:22 AM

Okay, so I'm picking up my new bike tomorrow ('09 YZ450F). First dirt bike since my 1994 KX250 (before I was married!). Would like to get some input on swapping out my fork and shock springs. Race Tech tools says .50 front/5.8 rear (there's going to be 240 lbs of beef on this bike).

Q1: Best place to buy the springs?

Race Tech shows a couple of specialty tools are required for the change out.

Q2: Absolutely necessary?

Q3: What other materials are going to be necessary? New seals?

Any input would be appreciated. Want to get the stuff ordered. Thanks.

• FiremanKay

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:37 PM

ride it fist, then if you feel u need them, there is lots of good info on here. Ride first though! Also it is important that you set it up for your type of riding and your speed.

• mikedabike

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Yes, you need the springs. I weigh the same as you and could not get the sag set properly.
1. Thumpertalk store.
2. Not absolutley necesary but money well spent.
3. You can swap springs with out changing seals or anything. Just more fork oil for the outer chamber.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:42 PM

get the tusk fork tools all the special tools youll need to change the springs. Can be purchased at rockymountainatv.com for about 20 US dollers. Check out the youtube videos, good info on the subject. Congrats on the bike and talking the wife into letting you ride again. Did you have a big spill in 94 or something?

• sro2004

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:39 AM

No big spill. But I fell into the trap many married guys fall into. A year after yer married and you got a bun in the oven...your leverage to continue activities that involve an outlay of cash that doesn't directly benefit a) the wife or :confused: the bun that's gonna come outta the oven is severely decreased. Then, a dozen years later, yer wife (and daughter...who's picked up her mother's rap like a very talented parrot), they tell you yer too old to be riding dirt bikes. Then you tell them...hmmm...if I'm too old for dirt, I guess I'll get another street bike...do you like the looks of this 200-hp VMax honey (and the $16,000 price tag)? She says...how much did you say those dirt bikes cost? :thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted April 03, 2009 - 06:58 AM

No big spill. But I fell into the trap many married guys fall into. A year after yer married and you got a bun in the oven...your leverage to continue activities that involve an outlay of cash that doesn't directly benefit a) the wife or :confused: the bun that's gonna come outta the oven is severely decreased. Then, a dozen years later, yer wife (and daughter...who's picked up her mother's rap like a very talented parrot), they tell you yer too old to be riding dirt bikes. Then you tell them...hmmm...if I'm too old for dirt, I guess I'll get another street bike...do you like the looks of this 200-hp VMax honey (and the $16,000 price tag)? She says...how much did you say those dirt bikes cost? :thumbsup:

LOL thats a great story. Well that was my story only a shorter time from. 2 year old daughter and wife to be (shes got all the money). Got rid of the R1 when the little one was on the way, went through a 2 year withdraw. Was told to look back into riding since I liked it so much, I talked about my MX days as a child. And here I am, happy again. Although that 2010 R1 may be next to the MX bike very soon here. Well via Race Tech "FRONT FORK SPRINGS-Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.494 kg/mm" "REAR SHOCK SPRING
Recommended Rear Shock Spring Rate: 5.74" I did see you where on their site though. Hope that helps a little, good luck, and its an easy job. Tusk tool is all you need and dont re-use your fork oil (some people do try to).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.