blown head light on wr400

5 replies to this topic
  • vfr661

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:32 AM

I recently pick up a 00 WR400 that came with a baja design kit. The headlight was blown when I got it. I put in a new automotive headlight and after a few rides the headlight is blown again. Are the highlights different for automotive than for off-road bikes? Could my problem be a bad baja design regulator? What can I do to check for the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

• William1

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:52 AM

The bulbs are slightly different, motorcycle specific are supposed to be more vibration resistant. However, I suggest checking the charging voltage to ensure there is not a problem. Put your voltmeter on the battery and check the voltage at idle then at about 1/2 throttle. The voltage should not rise above 14.5 volts. If this checks out, I suggest you then check all connections, esp. all grounds.

• doctorchopper

Posted April 02, 2009 - 11:35 AM

you are on the right track, check your voltage regulator, the 400/426 do not have batteries so it is a straight regulator not a regulator/rectifier like on the 450's. Should be putting out aroun 12-14 VAC. Being baja designs it might be DC and may have a battery, not sure on their installations

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:50 PM

you can go and get an hid for it for around 50$ on ebay and they are guarintead for a year. and i have never heard of any going out. that i what i have and i have never had a problem with it going out or anything like that.

• William1

Posted April 03, 2009 - 02:53 AM

You have to have full DC (floated ground) to run HID. You cannot put HID into a stock headlight shell and get a decent beam pattern.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:05 PM

You have to have full DC (floated ground) to run HID. You cannot put HID into a stock headlight shell and get a decent beam pattern.

i know. i just had mine done. baja designs did it. great job. really fast too

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.