Wheel adaptions to 2000 yz426

12 replies to this topic
  • BRY_426F_

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hey TT I recently shredded my hub apart ( didn't think twice about how tight my chain was) I'm looking for loacales that are selling used pieces. I had a guy offer to sell me wheels from his CR. he claims that all I need are wheel spacers and it should bolt up.. I'm dropping by here on TT cause I KNOW this is the oly place i'm going to get a dead on, straight forward answer. please, any info one wheel adaptions would be much appreciated, I am at wits end. I am just looking to get rolling again. I'd like to know of some success stories mounting different wheels on the 2000 YZ

• BRY_426F_

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:28 PM

I found the forum where the discussion is on wheels.. but I'm looking for success stories of fabbing something together to make work. This is what the guy messaged me saying : I have a wheel that came off my 2001 cr 250. It is however a 18". It is an excel with a talon hub. Not sure if that works but I think you just need yamaha spacers???? I will sell it for 200.00. It was over 800.00 when I bought it. Color is gold zinc plated with siver spokes."

I asked him to measure the ID and OD and get back to me. is there any other info i should dig for?

• usmcpaul

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:36 AM

This is not an answer to your question, but have you considered a Warp 9 rear wheel instead?

For about $350 you get the entire rear wheel and they work well. I had one on my CRF, (due to my sprocket coming loose and elongating the bolt holes) and I thought it was well worth the money.

• KJ790

Posted April 02, 2009 - 06:07 AM

I'm pretty sure it won't fit. Talon hubs are not modular hubs like excel hubs. You can't just change the wheel spacers and make them fit. This has become such a problem that Talon posted this on their website a couple months ago:

IT HAS COME TO OUR NOTICE THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE SELLING SECOND HAND TALON WHEELS ON E-BAY WITH THE WRONG INFORMATION.
ALTHOUGH WE HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE WHEELS BEING SOLD, WE ARE VERY CONCERNED THAT THEY ARE NOT BEING USED IN THE CORRECT FORM THAT THEY WERE ORIGINALLY INTENDED FOR.
MOST TALON HUBS/WHEELS ARE MADE FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL MODEL (I.E. HONDA WHEELS ARE MADE FOR HONDA’S AND YAMAHA WHEELS ARE MADE FOR YAMAHAS ETC) BUT WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT TALON WHEELS ARE BEING SOLD WITH THE INFORMATION THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUY A CONVERSION KIT TO FIT WHICH EVER MODEL YOU NEED THEM FOR, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE AND WE WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS.
ALL MODELS ARE DIFFERENT, THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SIZE AXLES, DIFFERENT WHEEL ALIGNMENTS ETC AND IT IS NOT SAFE TO JUST ‘MAKE THESE FIT’
ALL TALON WHEELS HAVE THEIR OWN SERIAL NUMBER STAMPED ON THE HUBS AND IF YOU CONTACT TALON AND GIVE US THE SERIAL NUMBER (PREFERABLY BEFORE YOU BUY THEM) THEN WE CAN TELL YOU IF THE WHEELS ARE SUITABLE FOR YOUR MODEL BIKE.
AFTER ALL IF ALL TALON HUBS WERE THE SAME THEN WHY WOULD WE HAVE SO MANY DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS?

However, any YZ rear wheel (125-450) will fit from '99-'08. Just remember that a 125 or 250F rim will be narrower than the 250/426/450 rear rim.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:40 AM

Excellent bit of info, KJ. :thumbsup:

• wondermuscle

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Make sure you use the right wheel spacers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRY_426F_

Posted April 02, 2009 - 12:16 PM

I met a fellow trying to sell me his warp 9 18 inch complete wheel, He asked me to make an offer I said "$200 bux" He wants to think about it.. as for another deal im working on, another guy wants to buy my shredded hub. It has all the wheel bearings and spokes are immaculate.. he offered me 50 bux.. it still has the rotor on it also. What would you guys do in my shoes? the 18 inch wheel is sort of a godsend, on the other hand I now have 3 spare 19 inch sand tires that have no home rims until I get a spare 19 inch again.. should I bite thue bullet and take what I can get?

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 01:30 PM

I wouldn't spend more than $50 on a used Warp 9, and then, I'd only trail ride with it.

• usmcpaul

Posted April 02, 2009 - 01:31 PM

The Warp 9's come's complete so bearings, rotor, and sprocket should not be an issue.

**disclaimer*** The sprocket is 1 or 2 teeth larger than stock so I decided to use my original sprocket.

Anyway, I would take the $50 and put it towards a new wheel.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 01:36 PM

Anyway, I would take the $50 and put it towards a new wheel.:thumbsup:

Probably a better choice.

• gbalias

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:04 PM

complete used wheels anywhere from 1999 to 2002 will work fine on your bike. check fleabay. i forgot if the 03-05 work but i THINK they do.

i wouldnt ever put anything that came from a honda on my YZ. haha. the excel pro series hubs are the ones that are universal and need only carrier rings specific to the bike model to work IIRC.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:11 PM

complete used wheels anywhere from 1999 to 2002 will work fine on your bike. check fleabay. i forgot if the 03-05 work but i THINK they do.

'99-'08 will work with the spacer set appropriate for the motorcycle:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

• theatvshop

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:43 PM

check your messages

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.