YZ426F/YZF450 questions

Just picked up a houser 250r/yzf426 hybrid. I checked the bore and stroke, and its 95mm bore and 63.4mm stroke. The bore is regular, but the stroke is longer. It's a 449cc. I'm assuming its the WR450 or the yzf450 crank? is there any way to tell without getting it out? I'm just curious to know which one it is.

Also, I popped the head, and theres some damage. I need a new one. I'm assuming the yfz,yzf,and the 426 head are all the same? I know on the yfz's they did some updating in 06 or 07. but thats fine its going to be a ported one anyway.

so my question is, are the heads the same? and also what are the differences between the yfz and the 426 motor?

thanks everyone

There is very little interchangeability between the 426 and any 450, and the YFZ crankcase will not bolt into any of the bike frames. The head will also not interchange, nor can you use either a 450 cylinder or crank in the 426, to my knowledge. So, if it says 449, it's more likely a 450 engine. Pics?

Casting numbers on the head, cylinder, etc.?

Gray you blow my mind sometimes where do you store all of this stuff? I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night!

+1 no way in hell id be able to remember all that.

So it must be a stroker crank then? about 2 mill, 61 stock to 63.4.

The guy told me it was a 426 motor, but it had a 450 cylinder. obviously he's wrong since there all the same, and the stroke is different. He didnt know very much about it, the guy who had it before him did all the work to it.

I'll post pictures of the cylinder and motor in a minute. head is going out to get an estimate to be fixed.

I went to take some other pics and the camera died.

Any clue what companies could repair it? Someone reccomended CT racing to me. and if its a 426 motor, ill probably be getting a yzf450 exhaust cam for the decompression and an aftermarket intake cam

Well, it's unquestionably a 450 cylinder. And it is also an '02 or earlier lower end, making it most probably a 426, too. It is news to me that a 450 cylinder will sit on the 426 cases, but you learn (or should learn) something every day.

The next question is the head. If I could see the whole gasket surface of that, I can tell you whether it's a 426 or 450.

Well, it's unquestionably a 450 cylinder. And it is also an '02 or earlier lower end, making it most probably a 426, too. It is news to me that a 450 cylinder will sit on the 426 cases, but you learn (or should learn) something every day.

The next question is the head. If I could see the whole gasket surface of that, I can tell you whether it's a 426 or 450.

BTW, it also has a wet sump conversion kit. Change oil often.

So the guy wasnt lying when he told me it had a 450 cylinder. hmmm. I just figured he meant crank since the cylinders are all the same sizes. Why would you do this? Put a 450 cylinder on a 426 motor....

and I can get you a picture of the head gasket right now, since I dont have the head in my garage currently.

So if you changed the head on a 426 motor with a 450 it would basically be like boring the motor out in a since, yes?

How would it be boring it out? I dont know the differences between the heads, but it wouldnt be the same as boring it. Boring is making the cylinder larger. Stroker is longer crank. I dont know the advantage of a 450 head. Maybe Gray could explain why someone would do this.