My YZ450 with homemade exhaust

8 replies to this topic
  • johnnydeetz

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thought you lads might like to see my latest modification.
My bike is a YZ450, with a WR 5 speed motor, home tuned, its pretty quick now just a little slower than a 650 'Berg, and quicker than most 450's.

My Akro pipe I had before was loud, kept blowing apart, needed re-packing..after numerous and loads of attempts to make it quiet, with success but didnt stay together, I decided to make my own pipe.

As its supermoto I want more top end, so based on the fact that the 748's have 55mm headers, and when I raced a KTM550 supermono I built a 60mm pipe (two 38mm headers into a 60) this was the only way forward.

Step forward my sponsor in road racing, and they made a selection of bends from 50mm stainless pipe, 0.8mm wall thickness with a 38mm to 50mm taper for the stub. I spent 8 hours hacksawing, tacking up, pondering, welding and viola, a new system for no cost !
Coupled with a straight through all titanium oval silncer, and a baffle in the end and its at 97db where the Akro was at 102db - yikes. Th esilencer is longer, bu I made it so it fits behind the number board neatly, and it doesnt stick out any farther than it used to, clears the tyre as well !
Mission accomplished !
Strangely, I gained 1hp throughout the rev range all over not just top end, but is a lot quieter.

At the track, it feels smoother bottom end and just keeps pulling, not like before when it pulled from bottom and went a little weak on top. The dyno graph didnt read what it feels like on track - strange.

Got my first top 10 in the Nationals last weekend, at a track I didnt like. This is only my second season, and 8th supermoto race meeting, so am well made up !

Posted Image

• ThumperKid250F

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:44 PM

wow very nice, good clean job you did there:thumbsup:

also good work on getting your first top 10:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted April 01, 2009 - 04:14 PM

very cool, I think AMA needs to bring it down to 96dbs this way everyone will have to have quieter bikes to ride and race.

• finthat

Posted April 01, 2009 - 04:38 PM

Good job looks sweet....I miss the days when I worked at a welding shop and ran a mandrel bender. Built headers and exhaust for my 4x4. Now I am into bikes and would love to have that machine back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzgrizz

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:24 PM

great work:thumbsup:

• johnnydeetz

Posted April 02, 2009 - 02:12 PM

Thanks lads ! :thumbsup:

Finthat, yes it does help when you have the equipment much like you did I ideal job would be doing stuff like this all day, everyday...instead of being a development engineer for boilers !!
Does have its perks though, so I cant complain.

• rdrata

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:24 PM

"Deetz Boiler Makers" - Kinda catchy name for an exhaust system? Dominate the race events, and have the big boys buy your brand name out for the BIG BUCK$:thumbsup:

• gbalias

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I spent 8 hours hacksawing, tacking up, pondering, welding and viola, a new system for no cost !

whats wrong with that statement! ahhaah...jk

awesome pipe.

good to see a fellow sumo racer on here! cheers!

ive got a 426 for SM racing.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Cool pipe but have you seen the Pro Circuit pipe? (I know it costs money, the big difference in what you did.) Only 94db

Features Include:

* Strictly for closed course competiton!
* Non Spark Arrested system
* Welded Titanium End Cap (same as Team Pro Circuit)
* Meets AMA sound requirements of 94db.
* 3 Piece system which inlcludes silencer, mid pipe and head pipe.
* New stronger Billet Aluminum Mounting bracket.
* Used by Team Pro Circuit as well as Factory Kawasaki and Factory Suzuki.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.