2000 426 Coughs and dies just off idle

5 replies to this topic
  • divebobber

Posted April 01, 2009 - 12:09 PM

When riding (clutch out, going up a hill or lugging it...doesn't matter), it doesn't seem to do it. It happens when I stop and am just trying to get started again. If I give it a little gas it will just die. So I'll rev it and keep it revved while slowly letting the clutch out and it will STILL die. Also, while revving it to get started it will stumble and run badly even if it doesn't actually die. Once I'm moving and clutch is fully engaged, no problem. I was thinking pilot jet but it's almost as though I'm getting a bad spark, because when it dies, it's like I'm pushing the kill button. BTW, new platinum spark plug. Any ideas?

• 642MX

Posted April 01, 2009 - 12:11 PM

The first step I would do is remove and clean the carb.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • divebobber

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:59 PM

I tried adjusting the mixture and it didn't help. One update that may have something to do with it, gray, maybe you will know. I just finished cleaning it and found that the breather tube had somehow gotten pushed up through the little keeper and had a bad kink in it. Could cutting the ability of that to "breathe" have an effect? I started it after cleaning and let it run for about five minutes and it doesn't seem to be doing it.

As for cleaning the carb, I disassembled it, cleaned, and rejetted it about 24 hours (riding time) ago. If it isn't the breather tube, I'll do as 642mx said and break the carb down and clean and check the jets.

Thanks.

P.S. gray, I see that you're in California. Don't know if you're up north or not, but if not, and you get up this way, I would highly recommend Stonyford. GREAT single track through the trees, and pretty much everything else you could want. Big enough to easily get lost without a map (and even WITH a map if they don't mark the trails). Quite scenic as well.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:18 PM

I just finished cleaning it and found that the breather tube had somehow gotten pushed up through the little keeper and had a bad kink in it. Could cutting the ability of that to "breathe" have an effect?

No. Check the carb hoses and the tank vent though, then proceed.

• divebobber

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks, will do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.