Stupid Question: Exhaust Packing 2t vs. 4t what's the diff?

23 replies to this topic
  • Smacaroni

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:39 AM

What's the difference between exhaust packing marketed for 4 stroke engines vs. 2 stroke?

• Romster

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:48 AM

good question, I want to know too.

Also my stock 4t muffler seems to be riveted together, how would you repack that

• Bama1

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:49 AM

some use a "blanket" wrap around the core others use a "pillow" packing around the core but in the end it all does the same thing if you have a 4t get 4t packing and 2t for a 2t pipe

• Bama1

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:50 AM

what kind of stock 4t are you running.....i have yet to see a stock pipe that can be re-packed(4t)

• KJ790

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:56 AM

Some two stroke packing is not as heat resistant as four stroke packing. Other than that, they are the same. You can use four stroke packing in two strokes just fine (unless it is the pillow packing that is presized, in which case it simply will not fit in a two stroke silencer).

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 01, 2009 - 07:18 AM

^^ Good info. I always thought it was just a size thing.

• dlowe102

Posted April 01, 2009 - 07:55 AM

my 2 stroke procircuit silencer was packed with 4 stroke packing from the factory...that stuff must last forever on a 2 stroke because i went to repack it and the packing is still perfect

• Smacaroni

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:12 AM

how to repack a non-repackable muffler:
http://superhunky.co...Mufflertech.php

Thanks for the info 4t in 2t ok, the other way around is a no-go.

I also was wondering what the difference between the pillow vs. pressed is, I just assumed it was a personal preference.

• ncdirtrider249

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:33 AM

pillow is a fluffy type substance like the fmf silencer packing...the pressed is the stuff that you get from moose or white brothers (vance and hines)

• Smacaroni

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:50 AM

I like the pressed just because it looks easier to work with, but I could be wrong, it's the only thing I've ever used.

But is there a reason other than mine to use one over the other?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smacaroni

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:56 AM

So I'm to assume that there's no significant performance or installation difference between pillow and pad muffler packing? If so, why would anyone use the pillow since pad looks easier to work with?

• Bama1

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:30 AM

all depends on what came out of it.. and what the requirements are...... this may be just me but if pillow comes out. thats whats going back in and besides i figure if you get the right replacement parts it will be easier to work with and fit right

• rpt50

Posted April 02, 2009 - 01:39 PM

The above post is correct in that 4 stroke packing is more heat resistent that smoker packing. If you are repacking a smoker silencer, don't waste your money buying motorcycle branded stuff. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy pink insulation. It is basically the same thing as 2 stroke packing, it works great, and you can buy a lifetime supply for next to nothing. I have been using nothing but pink home insulation for years.

• stlavsa

Posted April 02, 2009 - 02:37 PM

what kind of stock 4t are you running.....i have yet to see a stock pipe that can be re-packed(4t)

Whaaaaaaaaattttttttt????? I got no problem repacking any of my 4-stroke mx bikes. Look on the inlet side of the muffler, not the outlet side...

• sheas93

Posted April 02, 2009 - 02:49 PM

after how many hours should you repack?

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:13 PM

It amazes me that people who ride dirtbikes either don't repack their bike's mufflers or don't even know that those mufflers need to be repacked. I think this is far more common than not.

I repack mine every 20-25hrs and I'm only a trail rider. Packing gets destroyed very easily and your bike gets very loud when it does.

• KJ790

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:16 PM

All stock MX exhausts require repacking. Here is a good chart that gives a pretty good idea of how often you should repack:

Posted Image

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:33 PM

oh crap I'm a beginner. :thumbsup:

• stlavsa

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:00 PM

oh crap I'm a beginner. :thumbsup:

haha dont be hard on yourself... that chart seems a little like overkill to me. I just look at the packing everyonce in a while... if it looks deteriorated, or burnt up, it gets changed. When my bike had 25 hours, it was a little burnt up but it was still completely fine.

• Smacaroni

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:14 AM

Yeah man, no body has ever been born with a greasy wrench in their hand.
Some of us got one in our diapers and others don't get one until much later in life, but everybody was a beginner once.

It amazes me that people who ride dirtbikes either don't repack their bike's mufflers or don't even know that those mufflers need to be repacked. I think this is far more common than not.

I repack mine every 20-25hrs and I'm only a trail rider. Packing gets destroyed very easily and your bike gets very loud when it does.

Very true, I think most people who don't repack don't realize it's gone because the volume increase is gradual. It's not like a busted chain where everything's fine one moment and the next the bike won't accelerate, no matter what.

I agree with the other poster, pull your exhaust apart every now and then (2t you should be doing this more often because of that wonderful spooge), if it's shot or getting crappy, order new stuff and do it when you have a half hour or so free.
My street bike I don't because the kerker didn't come with it. If it weren't for the jetting headache, I'd probably modify the innards and use muffler packing instead of the blocked perforated tube it has now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1993 CR250 BUILD by spodeboy by spodeboy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Beta 400 RR 2014 by h2ojunkie

Beta 400 RR 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 SX 250 by shanes

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   KTM 2-Stroke
  • 0 replies
Reviews

KTM 250 EXC 4-Stroke 2011 by palmpilote

KTM 250 EXC 4-Stroke 2011
  • 1 review
  • Last review by palmpilote
  • On October 17, 2014
Forums
Photo

Jap Suspension? by 975

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Husqvarna   Husqvarna 4-Stroke
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.