Best Cheapest Clutch

22 replies to this topic
  • yz133rider

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Im looking to get a clutch kit and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I dont need it to hold more power just be durable and consistent. EBC's are pretty cheap any good? Also Rocky mountain makes a clutch kit thats super cheap with springs and I am considering that but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Matt.

• Kasjok

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:47 AM

Go with OEM

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't use either one of them. Very few aftermarket clutches work as well as Yamaha OEM does. Use them, or step up to GYT-R or Hinson. Use OEM springs.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” - Benjamin Franklin

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 01, 2009 - 08:50 AM

I just bought a clutch kit a week ago and put them in. They were OEM and the reason I went back to OEM was becauses I had 80.1 hours on my old clutch/friction plates.

Iam going to put new springs in little more often though.

• yz133rider

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:08 AM

GYTR kit it is then it seems like the best deal for sure. I found it online for 92 plus 11 shipping that seem like a good deal? Springs and all the plates.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Be certain that the kit you buy is specific to your year and model. Different years stack up at differing heights.

• MX926

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Definately go O.E.M Yamaha. You get what you pay for, cheap clutch = cheap clutch. I have 60 hrs on my stock 08 Clutch, still looks good.

• yz133rider

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:21 AM

The kit says 03-06 and it says specifically it comes with some extra componet for the 03 an arm of some sort if I remember right, dont have it up in front of me anymore.

Thanks a bunch

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:25 AM

The arm is ONLY for the '03, too. That bike had a different cable layout (like that of a WR), and the arm improved the leverage. Wrong angle for any other year, though.

• rookie23

Posted April 01, 2009 - 10:12 AM

a buddy of mine put the tusk clutch in his bike and it works fine, i would say if you was racing or doing constant hill climbs or something like that you should buy the best you can afford, but for everyday trail riding you can use the tusk brand and not worry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:23 AM

a buddy of mine put the tusk clutch in his bike and it works fine, i would say if you was racing or doing constant hill climbs or something like that you should buy the best you can afford, but for everyday trail riding you can use the tusk brand and not worry

I am all for saving a buck but the OEM Yamaha clutches seem to be an exceptional value. I don't think the savings are enough to get me away from a proven product. How much of a savings are we talking?

• DBMX 925

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:26 AM

I just got an EBC and it is the exact same item as the Tusk......... I was looking for a better clutch setup. But, after seeing what was delivered I realized I should have gotten the GYTR heavy duty setup. Less money and better quality I'm sure. I will let you all know how long this EBC lasts..... I just never learn OEM is the way to fly. I hope I am pleasently surprised. (but I'm a realist)

• MX926

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:58 AM

My brother bought the tusk for his 06 YZ250F, and it wore out very fast. His stock clutch lasted a year and a half, the tusk only lasted half a summer. And he is not one to abuse a clutch either.

• yz133rider

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Hey guys part number GYT-5TA56-30-00 is the gytr clutch kit anyone know if this kit comes with springs?

• rdrata

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:19 PM

My first thought was "least expensive" ILO "cheapest", so I would have to second Gray's last quote; he's a smart guy (Ben Franklin, that is...) :thumbsup:

Gray, what are your thoughts on Barnett?

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:57 PM

I haven't used them for a very long time, but when I used to, I had variable luck with them. So, I don't anymore.

• 642MX

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:17 PM

My brother bought the tusk for his 06 YZ250F, and it wore out very fast. His stock clutch lasted a year and a half, the tusk only lasted half a summer. And he is not one to abuse a clutch either.

For every bad story there is a good one.... I use nothing but Tusks in both our bikes, both bikes have big bore kits with Rekluse Pro's.... never had a failure or issue.

• mitchicle

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hey guys part number GYT-5TA56-30-00 is the gytr clutch kit anyone know if this kit comes with springs?

I just ordered this exact kit of Ebay and it does not come with springs. :thumbsup:

• yz133rider

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hey thanks a bunch ill have to get a set of springs then. OEM it is I already know that answer if I ask what brand should I use haha.

• yz133rider

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:27 AM

http://yamahamc.part...D=209072&Page=1

Is number nine the springs I need? And I need six of them correct?

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.