Stock rear tire is toast I need a new one

29 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted April 09, 2009 - 09:47 PM

I just installed the Kenda Parker-DT (desert terrain) on the back but haven't tried it yet. It is also DOT:busted:

• vtripper

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Waiting for my first trials tire, have heard once you have one you will never go back.

• moto_xmayhem21

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:33 PM

Get the dunlop 952! Its the same grippy pattern as the 756 but is harder for intermediate terrain! The maxxis IT is good too-

• mikeythefokker

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:48 PM

The dunlop 756 is a good tire. The Maxxis it performs the same but lasts about twice as long.

• IBLucky

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:49 AM

I think I will try the Washougal next time' so far with the Desert IT, I seem to spin the tire a lot, and a few big chunks of the rear tire have come off. It does wear good though, I cant say anything bad about that. But seems the same as the stock tire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted August 13, 2009 - 06:59 AM

I think I will try the Washougal next time' so far with the Desert IT, I seem to spin the tire a lot, and a few big chunks of the rear tire have come off. It does wear good though, I cant say anything bad about that. But seems the same as the stock tire.

The Washougal is great on everything but true hardpack.
And it sucks bad enough on hardpack that I'd say if you do any hardpack riding I would give it a miss.

Just saying this as I know you guys have lots of hardpack in Cali.
It's my favorite tire here in BC in all but a few places.

• weathergeek

Posted August 16, 2009 - 04:55 PM

I've ride all kinds of different tires. The Mzxxis desert IT is a good tire and wears pretty good. I don't think it grips as well as the Dunlop 952, which is also a good tire. The bridgestone 404 is a super durable tire, much more duable than the others in my opinion. Less traction, so run it at a lower pressure. The Pirelli MT16 is a really good tire also.

Be adventurous and try a trials tire. It wears much, much longer than the others and traction is amazing. You might not ever switch back. It is the perfect tire for Cal City and Dove Springs.

Maurice, I know this has been beat to death but which trials tire do you run? I have a WR 450 like you. I am ready to try something new even though I like the desert IT. Lastly, what pressure do you run yours at?

• Strattos

Posted August 16, 2009 - 10:24 PM

I've been a Dunlop 756 fan for ages. They are awesome. Tried a 952 and to be honest wasn't that impressed. They were great to begin with but as soon as they've worn a bit they don't grip that well. Then they last for ages in that state. While the 756s may not have lasted as long, they seemed to grip for more of their life-span. Although in my area, heaps of sand and loam, I tended to get a heap of mileage out of them. Just my two bobs worth. I've just replaced the 952 I had on the back with the 756's replacement - the Geomax 51. Had my first race with them on the weekend. Awesome tyres. I'll see how they go in the wear stakes. I reckon they're actually better than the old 756s were for sand/soft/loam with the occasional hard.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:11 AM

Waiting for my first trials tire, have heard once you have one you will never go back.

Maurice, I know this has been beat to death but which trials tire do you run? I have a WR 450 like you. I am ready to try something new even though I like the desert IT. Lastly, what pressure do you run yours at?

WG, this has been beat to death, but I just can't seem to be talked into a trials tire. I just can't seem to get it into my head that it's better than knobbies on the dry, dusty, rocky, hardpack we mostly ride.

........... bahhh :thumbsup:

• weathergeek

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:13 AM

WG, this has been beat to death, but I just can't seem to be talked into a trials tire. I just can't seem to get it into my head that it's better than knobbies on the dry, dusty, rocky, hardpack we mostly ride.

........... bahhh :thumbsup:

That is the same feeling I have too. I know a lot of the guys have been on them. One of these days, will just have to try. If you were to try one, which one would you try?

P.S. Just noticed that you and I are on the same bike too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.