Stock rear tire is toast I need a new one

29 replies to this topic
  • IBLucky

Posted April 01, 2009 - 05:06 AM

I ride Cal City, Dove Springs Jaw Bone areas most and I was thinking about getting a Kenda Washougal 775 to replace it. anybody hear anything bad about these tires? I heard they last ok and are good for the area.
The old one was a Dunlop 756 on a wr450.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:51 AM

Maxxis desert IT if you're looking for longevity. Get it nice and hot before you try to mount it or else you're gonna have a helluva time.

• idamoh

Posted April 01, 2009 - 12:02 PM

I'm using the Desert IT too. Longest lasting tire i've bought so far. The hookup on it is pretty good too IMAO.

• DrzDasher

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:10 PM

as said above or dunlop 739 at is the cats meow

• Ho450

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'm using the Desert IT too. Longest lasting tire i've bought so far. The hookup on it is pretty good too IMAO.

+1 :thumbsup:

• CanadianWR450

Posted April 01, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Maxxis desert IT if you're looking for longevity. Get it nice and hot before you try to mount it or else you're gonna have a helluva time.

X2 on the Maxxis Desert

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:42 PM

I've ride all kinds of different tires. The Mzxxis desert IT is a good tire and wears pretty good. I don't think it grips as well as the Dunlop 952, which is also a good tire. The bridgestone 404 is a super durable tire, much more duable than the others in my opinion. Less traction, so run it at a lower pressure. The Pirelli MT16 is a really good tire also.

Be adventurous and try a trials tire. It wears much, much longer than the others and traction is amazing. You might not ever switch back. It is the perfect tire for Cal City and Dove Springs.

• ARyder

Posted April 01, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I just bought a 756 for the rear but I am going to try the Maxxis IT tire when the 756 wears out. I keep hearing lots of good things about the Maxxis.

• Billua

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:25 AM

+5:thumbsup: on the Maxxis Desert IT.

Just mounted one on the WR yesterday and have one on my KX 500.

Great desert tire!

Posted Image

• IBLucky

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the help! I went for the Maxxis Desert IT. but has anybody tried the Kenda's??? I am curious because a guy sells them mounted at Borax Bills parking lot on big weekends for a fair price, and I was really thinking about it. but now maybe for the next time..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted April 06, 2009 - 09:09 PM

The Kenda Washougal Sticky rules for riding here in BC, but it isn't desert. They are especially good in the mud, wet rocks and roots.
That said, in the dry, sandy, rocky terrain I ride it still hooks up better than a Desert IT.
But it does wears out faster than a Desert IT.

• IBLucky

Posted April 07, 2009 - 05:53 AM

You can get the Kenda Washougal in two ways, sticky, or not! I thought the sticky was made for the track.

• tribalbc

Posted April 07, 2009 - 01:57 PM

The Sticky is a softer compound that grips better on wet rocks and roots but also wears faster.
I've never bothered trying the regular Washougal :thumbsup:

• IBLucky

Posted April 08, 2009 - 05:21 AM

What are wet rocks? we don't have them in the Mojave desert:smirk:

• jandmsuburban7

Posted April 08, 2009 - 01:50 PM

Dunlop 952 grips great. If only in the desert like that, maybe use a 120 instead of a 110 size. I did not care for the Maxxis myself although my friends like it. I give a lot of gas and hit the brakes real hard and found I just dont have enough grip to the ground with the Maxxis IT. Jason

• IBLucky

Posted April 08, 2009 - 06:19 PM

Well I have one ride on the IT so far and it seemed fine to me, but my old tire was so bad I was really glad to have a new tire! Now for the front tire it seems ok at the moment but I would like to get rid of it it's a 739 and have no Idea what to get next, whats the more popular tire for the front? any suggestions are appreciated.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted April 09, 2009 - 01:38 PM

I like the D 952 and my wife has the D 745. I personally like the 952.

• cmd

Posted April 09, 2009 - 02:25 PM

what.....no love for the tried and true 756:thumbsup: ,great all around tire and they last pretty well too

• garr87v

Posted April 09, 2009 - 08:48 PM

Well I have one ride on the IT so far and it seemed fine to me, but my old tire was so bad I was really glad to have a new tire! Now for the front tire it seems ok at the moment but I would like to get rid of it it's a 739 and have no Idea what to get next, whats the more popular tire for the front? any suggestions are appreciated.

I went with the maxxis ht front and have loved it so far, the ht rear on the other hand hooked up great but after 200 miles it looks worse then the stock dunlop after a year around 700 to 900 miles:foul:

• 02WR426Cali

Posted April 09, 2009 - 09:02 PM

Get rid of that POS 739 if you ride the desert! That thing is for harder stuff not sandy mojave desert. The 756 works great out there front and rear. You will be able to turn much better with the 756 front or even try the 773 too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.