is the yamaha wr450f too big for riding trails

32 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:29 PM

As far as a 4 stroke 450 goes I don't think you could find an easier bike to ride in the tight woods. Smooth power and a low center of gravity.
But yes it is heavy side to side in the tight nasty's. It works really well in the tight stuff though if you stear with the rear, ie brake slide corners.
07-09's are the same bike.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:11 PM

regarding the steel vs aluminum frames. i have a 2005 my dad, a 2008. if i could walk into a dealership and take eather of them i would take the 05 hands down. the aluminum frame is only about 2 lbs lighter from what i understand, but you can feel alot more of the chadder bumps. we have the exact same suspention set up 10lbs lighter on my bike and it also does not handle as well as my bike and we both agreed on that fact. in particular, the woops. my 05 will track much harder and wants to stay straighter. both have dampners as well.

• reagangray

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:38 AM

I have an 06 with race tech suspension, gpr damper, and the tallest woods bars I could find, but im 6'2" and weigh in about 230. I love it. If your a little guy it may be a bit much for you cause it is heavy. But with heavy comes stability. IMHO there is no better bike for fast semi open atv width trails. My buddy has an 08 wr 250 and it is better in every aspect in super tight technical stuff. I kinda like a heavy bike and for sure am biased to my 450. But his 250 is an awesome bike as well. Either one will make you happy. It just depends on what kind of trail you ride most.

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:24 AM

I'm very happy with my 06 wr. If you work out three times a week and are in good shape it's not too heavy. There is not as much tight trees in Montana as back east. It seems to do just fine in the tight stuff in Montana for me. All the bikes are too tall and seem top heavy to me. I have ant legs. If I could afford have a quiver of bikes I would. My bike was brand new and is now set up how I like it and it's paid for. I will probably ride it another 5 years. Don't race, just ride for fun and go home when I'm exhausted. I ride home with a smile everytime!:thumbsup:

• mightymart

Posted April 02, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Coming from your TTR to a WR450 will be like jumping on a bike thats got nitro ! I had a good ride on a KTM xc250 the other day & found I had to ring its neck to do what I do on my 450 but maybe its because Im 6ft & 16 stone.
Yes the 250 is lighter but I cant say I really noticed it that much but saying that I didnt need to pick it up off tthe floor !
look at the weights on the different bikes & your probably be surprised there not alot in it. The best thing to do is get a ride on different bikes if you can because your style of riding will be completly different to others that come from say a "Motocross back ground". After riding a WR450 05 for an afternoon I knew this was the bike for me so I bought a 07 from which I have never looked back.
With regards to Ali vs steel both are great & many may say steel is better but if it was so good why havent Yamaha gone back to a steel frame. From what I have read the Ali frame set up is better for the tight stuff & I found the 07 to be more smooth & easier handle than the 05. But go with your budget because Ali or steel they both have the same engines & both provide 5 stars of fun !!!

• homer2000

Posted April 04, 2009 - 05:43 PM

yeh i ride just for fun also, i dont really race but i love to go fast, nothing better. Im around 6'1" and 160lbs,
ive been riding bikes for a while now, used to have a 2 stroke, an kdx175 but it blew up so ive never gone back to them, now always 4 strokes
i ride in the bush mainly, in bush and pine tracks
i want a bike thats got good speed and good handling and thats why the wr450f stood out to me.
if your doing tight trails will this bike over heat??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • enlarchick

Posted April 04, 2009 - 05:57 PM

My 07 WR450 is a great bike. Don't forget the magic button. :thumbsup:
I've never had problems with overheating except when my 400 pound uncle
rode it. Good luck!

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 05, 2009 - 01:59 PM

My 07 WR450 is a great bike. Don't forget the magic button. :thumbsup:
I've never had problems with overheating except when my 400 pound uncle
rode it. Good luck!

No 400 pounder gets on my bike. :confused:

• Roll Cage

Posted April 05, 2009 - 07:48 PM

I don't own either of these bikes (my dream bike is an '02 WR426), but in regards to the aluminum vs chro-moly steel, in Japan Aluminum is much cheaper in comparison to the high grade Chro-moly steel required for frames.

The thing is though, you can make a great frame out of both materials, testament to the Japenese Alum. frames and the European steel ones.

Preferance is the word.

-iRock

• durangoman

Posted April 05, 2009 - 10:04 PM

regarding the steel vs aluminum frames. i have a 2005 my dad, a 2008. if i could walk into a dealership and take eather of them i would take the 05 hands down. the aluminum frame is only about 2 lbs lighter from what i understand, but you can feel alot more of the chadder bumps. we have the exact same suspention set up 10lbs lighter on my bike and it also does not handle as well as my bike and we both agreed on that fact. in particular, the woops. my 05 will track much harder and wants to stay straighter. both have dampners as well.

Good post.

• durangoman

Posted April 05, 2009 - 10:08 PM

I have ant legs.

Get rid of those xtra legs and grow a pair... :thumbsup:

Seriously if I were to get rid of the stuff I already have and ride I'd replace 'em with a Wr450.

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Get rid of those xtra legs and grow a pair... :confused:

Seriously if I were to get rid of the stuff I already have and ride I'd replace 'em with a Wr450.

The Pro Moto Billet leg extenders are on back order.:thumbsup:

• MOTOPHILE

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:26 PM

I just had to check to see if this thread was posted on April Fools Day.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.