heavy throttle??

8 replies to this topic
  • watevr

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:50 AM

both my mate and myself have 2006 yz450 and when we swpt bikes on the weekend i noticed that his bike seemed to be a whole lot lighter in feel?? mine is not binding up or sticking it just feels like it has a heavier action. has anyone else noticed this between same models before??

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 31, 2009 - 07:31 AM

both my mate and myself have 2006 yz450 and when we swpt bikes on the weekend i noticed that his bike seemed to be a whole lot lighter in feel?? mine is not binding up or sticking it just feels like it has a heavier action. has anyone else noticed this between same models before??

my 426 was like that but now is buttery smooth.

Step1: Go to wal-mart and buy a bottle of lube called 3 in 1 oil. Its in the tool dept. Also pick up a tube of dry graphite lube.

Step 2: Take lid off of 3 in 1 oil and put a few good puffs of graphite in with it.

Step3: Take handlebar throttle assembly apart and clean all grease out of inside of tube, on bar, and on cables.

Step4: Once clean, apply the 3 in 1 inside throttle tube, on bar, pivot points on cables, and finally hold cables up and let the lube drip down the cable into the plastic jacketing until you see a residue come out of the sides of the cable that attach to the carb.

Step 5: Put it all back together and start it. When its running, pump the throttle a bit to work it all in.

It will be buttery smooth after this and the best part is that the oil dries fairly fast, but the dry graphite is left to keep lubing the cable. This way it will not attract much dirt.

Hope this helps.

• dayvn

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:14 AM

No matter what i did mine wasn't smooth till i cut and removed the return cable now it's smooth and easy to turn.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:02 AM

That means your return cable was faulty, and you need to replace it. With most YZF two cable setups, the return cable is what stops the grip from turning farther forward than the point where the throttle closes. Most of the later ones won't work properly at all without the return cable in place. Cutting it out and running without it is a caveman approach to the situation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:10 PM

That means your return cable was faulty, and you need to replace it. With most YZF two cable setups, the return cable is what stops the grip from turning farther forward than the point where the throttle closes. Most of the later ones won't work properly at all without the return cable in place. Cutting it out and running without it is a caveman approach to the situation.

I agree with gray. It is easier to just lube them properly than hurt the integrity of the bike.

• jimmydoorlocks

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:56 PM

I had a similar problem with my 426. As it turns out, someone put grip glue inside the throttle sleeve. :confused: A good cleaning and lubing and it was good to go. :thumbsup:
I also noticed some damage to my throttle cables at the carb end, so I replaced them too. $30 for a full set of Motion Pro (push and pull) cables at my local bike shop. Seems worth it to me. If one cable is bad, who's to say the other isn't on it's way out too.

• dayvn

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:03 PM

There are a bunch of posts about removing it. Don't do it if you don't want to but a lot of people have done it with no problems. Ask Eddie Sisneros the Intake - Jetting/Fuel Injection Forum expert. he will tell you he does it to all his thumpers.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:30 PM

Ask Eddie Sisneros the Intake - Jetting/Fuel Injection Forum expert. he will tell you he does it to all his thumpers.

Unless I'm mistaken, most of his thumpers are not Yamahas, and are therefore using a different throttle housing. With all of the repect that is certainly due to Eddie, I have neither the desire nor the need to remove the closing cable. It works perfectly well as it is.

• watevr

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:42 PM

thanks for the imput guys.

the actual throttle is not binding or getting stuck it just feel heavier?? maybe like its has hevier spring on the cables or something.

i will give it a full lube and clean up tho

cheers again guys

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.