new wr400

11 replies to this topic
  • tiny9755

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:24 AM

Well its not completely new to me yet, but i've got my eye on my neighbors 98 wr he has for sale and had a few questions. I'm buying the bike mainly to commute around town, mainly to school and work because the Dodge likes to gulp gas. I plan to be mostly on the road but still play off road a bit on the weekends when time allows. He said it has a recent valve job, it has an IMS tank and seat. So my question is are there any other problem areas with this bike other than the need to check the valves and the frequent oil changes? Is there anything that needs to be or could be done to make it run better on the road (ie tires, exhaust, and the free mods)?

• gator4life108

Posted March 31, 2009 - 08:13 AM

These bikes are common for the water pump seals and bearings to go out

• tiny9755

Posted March 31, 2009 - 09:43 AM

How much does that tend to cost to fix or replace them?

• gator4life108

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:14 AM

How much does that tend to cost to fix or replace them?

Around $50 for new bearings, seals, and impellar shaft.

When you start to have leaks from the weep hole under the water pump, you will know that they need to be replaced.

• face_plant

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:46 PM

dont forget about fork seals

• creeky

Posted March 31, 2009 - 05:18 PM

Also problems with throttle slide breaking with resulting shrapnel being sucked into the combustion chamber.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tiny9755

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:11 AM

With a 2000 dollar price tag do you think this is worth it? What do you guy think of this bike as a commuter bike? One of the things that drew me to this bike is the high seat height, i'm taller than most folks 6'8" 185. I don't plan to be driving all out most of the time so a little more longevity between oil changes would be nice though. Do you guys have any other ideas for another bike? Thanks for the imput.

• tiny9755

Posted April 03, 2009 - 06:07 PM

Well it turns out he had already sold it, i was sad. But I was Playin around on craigs list today and found a WRF 450 for less than 3k with 600ish miles on it. I want it mainly for commuting and this one doesn't have the ds setup on it, i've seen many different kits, is one any better than the other?

• Yamahondaha

Posted April 06, 2009 - 01:57 PM

Well it turns out he had already sold it, i was sad. But I was Playin around on craigs list today and found a WRF 450 for less than 3k with 600ish miles on it. I want it mainly for commuting and this one doesn't have the ds setup on it, i've seen many different kits, is one any better than the other?

I put the TRICK ds kit on my 06 WR450 and loved it. The Baja Designs kit is ok but the Trick kit was cleaner and no need for the AC ground to float like with the BD kit. The 450 has E-start and that complicates the wiring a tad bit. I now have a 426 and a 400 both came with BD kits and they work fine but if I had to buy one it would be from TRICK. The use the stock headlight fairing and plug into the factory harness with ease.

http://www.trickdual....com/yamaha.php

• pablo83

Posted April 06, 2009 - 08:07 PM

I love the WR/YZ. The engine is amazing, but it's not the lowest maintaince bike in the world (but still better than a KTM). A good low maintenance option for tall guys is the Honda XR650L, but they are heavier and less powerful than the WR. The XR600R is a little closer in performance to the WR and is still very reliable.

• mightymart

Posted April 09, 2009 - 01:28 PM

If your going to do more comuting then I think the Suzuki DRZ400 fits the bill Im really suprised no one else mentioned it ???, Magic button, long service intervals & very reliable, Dont get me wrong I still think the WR450 is the greatest bike in the world ! but for more road work with a bit of off road it has to be the DRZ.

• tiny9755

Posted April 09, 2009 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for all your insight guy I test drove a drz400sm yesterday and fell in love with it so i'm looking for one of those now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.