Did my intake jump 1 tooth (with pic)

6 replies to this topic
  • rufusz

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi

Saturday we had fine weather, so we went out riding in the woods and I've stalled it (426) while climbing on a steep hill in 1st. It stopped with a loud pop. Did restart very-very hard, and you could hear that the engine isn't running right anymore. It idled, but it didn't rev, you could only crawl with it in idle, or a little bit over idling. I suspected that the camchain jumped and took some pictures, I think my intake cam is 1 tooth off.
Should I replace the camchain, or this is a possible risk that anytime could happen when stalling under heavy load? I think in the moment of stalling, the engine rotated a bit backwards, that's why it popped and the chain jumped on the intake cam.
And look how my exhaust cam lobes look, is that a problem? The surface is flat, it just looks tesselated.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Kalar01

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:19 AM

it looks like there are 13 pins inbetween the marks to me. I think this is the correct #

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:35 AM

It looks as if you are using the wrong timing mark on the flywheel as TDC. There are 3 radial lines as you turn the engine forward. The first two are tied together so they look like an "H", and these are for ignition timing, not TDC. The third mark, is alone, and is the TDC mark for timing cams.

If you are using the correct TDC mark and they look this way, you need a timing chain as soon as possible.

Your cams look properly timed even so. If they were off by a full tooth, they would look much more out of line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:27 PM

I'm using the correct mark on the flywheel (not the H), double checked it with a screwdriver in the cylinder. I think I will replace the camchain. But then, if my timing is right, I don't have an answer why the engine isn't running right.... will have to dig deeper

Also: I think I'm missing item 12 (on the diagrams): GUIDE, STOPPER 2 5BE-12241-00-00

Could this have anything to do with "maybe" the camchain jumping?

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Your chain hasn't jumped. Mentally place the timing marks on the tooth next to the one they are on, and imagine what that would look like.

The upper guide you mention is only there to keep the chain from striking the cam cover. It wouldn't have much to do with the tracking stability of the chain.

• rufusz

Posted April 02, 2009 - 02:00 AM

it looks like there are 13 pins inbetween the marks to me. I think this is the correct #

Gray, is this also a method to check if the cams are aligned correctly relatively to each other? Of course, checking the punchmarks to be aligned should be enough, but still.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:55 AM

Gray, is this also a method to check if the cams are aligned correctly relatively to each other? Of course, checking the punchmarks to be aligned should be enough, but still.

Counting pins between cams is useful only as a cross check, and as an aid to assembling the second cam to the first one put in place. It can resolve questions that might arise where one cam seems to align poorly with the head, but the important thing is whether the cams each are in the correct relationship to the crank TDC mark.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.