Baja Ca....Safe?

5 replies to this topic
  • tripod

Posted August 16, 2002 - 05:19 PM

I have heard that the local authorities are stealing bikes from people going to Baja Ca. to ride. I would love to explore Baja, however, if it is not safe I will pass. Anybody have experience riding in Mexico?

• SFO

Posted August 18, 2002 - 05:55 AM

Originally posted by tripod:
I have heard that the local authorities are stealing bikes from people going to Baja Ca. to ride. I would love to explore Baja, however, if it is not safe I will pass. Anybody have experience riding in Mexico?

Safe is relative, I believe.
Rode 1400 miles of baja on my honeymoon this last new years.
We took a tour which made it pretty easy but the riding is very hairball.
Coming around a corner pinned in fifth and there is a frontend loader coming at you with the bucket at neck height.
Pm me and we can hook up, as I am in sf.
try these guys too, they were great hosts!

http://www.trailbosstours.com/

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted August 18, 2002 - 04:45 PM

Like anyplace, it's what you make of it. Sure it's a third world country and things work differently than in the US but I honestly think Baja is a safer place to be than many places in the US.
The crackdown on crooked cops in the past year has been dramatic. There aren't cops just taking peoples bikes. You do have to have proper paper work on your bikes and if you don't you may have a problem. But, unless you'r edoing something stupid then they won't have a reason to harass you.
For people who think they can just haul ass along the dirt roads, it can be scary. You need to realize there could be a car (or tractor) coming the opposite direction around that next turn (and he might be on your side of the road). Even though I've done at least a hundred desert races in Baja and countless miles of fun riding, I still think it's somewhat schetchy at times. That's why our company does a lot more riding on trails than other companies. It's a blast!
Baja is great, the riding is awesome, and the people are fantastic!

Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 19, 2002 - 07:27 AM

Ridden in Baja 3x w/o any problems at all. 2 times were organized rides with support trucks and 1x time with friends.

Been to Baja 3-4 times for SCORE races as pit support and the only problem I had was my gear bag got stolen out of the back of my truck. We were at a major pit with lots of locals and I was an idiot.....

Brian

• Scott_in_San_Diego

Posted August 19, 2002 - 01:20 PM

I've ridden Baja about 5 times without any problems. You must show your registration when crossing the border into Mexico.

• Fastgregg

Posted August 20, 2002 - 02:16 PM

We ride Baja 3 or four times a year, mostly around Tecate. I have never had a problem there. When crossing the border, you need to have your pink slip with you and the names need to match the Drivers Lic. They check almost every time at the Tecate crossing but I have never been checked at the Oaty Mesa crossing.

If pulled over by the federales in the interior, just be respectful and polite. A few stickers never hurt either.

Drugs and any sort of firearms or ammo will get you straight to jail. Even a loose bullet rolling around under the seat will do. Ask the Pearson brothers.

If that is Tim Morton above, contact him for a tour. Baja is huge and remote and your first time down should be with some one who knows the area.
With all that said, it is some of the finest riding I have ever done and is well worth the time and travel it takes.

Good luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.