wr seat is a pain in my butt

18 replies to this topic
  • tweeter

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:20 PM

Anybody try an aftermarket seat that doesn't cut you in to two halves? I use my bike on the street some and more than a few miles is killer. My bike must have the worst seat known to man. I looked at Corbins seat for the 2003THRU 2006 WR, but I am not sure I could make it work on my 2000 model.
Any thoughts?

• SPLATT

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Stay away form the SDG seats they're even harder than the stock seat. Everyone here recommends Guts Racing seats http://www.gutsracin...yamahamain.html

Steve

• dustdogg

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Stay away form the SDG seats they're even harder than the stock seat. Everyone here recommends Guts Racing seats http://www.gutsracin...yamahamain.html

Steve

I swapped out my stocker for an SDG and it was a noticable improvement. Much more comfortable than the stock POS. My only gripe is the cover was installed a little crooked at the front, although every other SDG seat I have seen was straight.
I have no experience with GUTS but I have heard good things about them.

• SPLATT

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:58 PM

I swapped out my stocker for an SDG and it was a noticable improvement. Much more comfortable than the stock POS. My only gripe is the cover was installed a little crooked at the front, although every other SDG seat I have seen was straight.
I have no experience with GUTS but I have heard good things about them.

I bought an SDG tall seat for my 04 WR450 and I think a 2x4 would have been softer but other than that it's a nice seat overall.

Steve

• chevytrkn1

Posted March 30, 2009 - 06:03 PM

ive ran the medium density Guts foam on my ast two bikes, Much improved

• kjr247

Posted March 30, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Dude I bought an XR for when I ride more than 3-4 hours...sad but true.

• tweeter

Posted March 31, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the input!

• Apple

Posted March 31, 2009 - 08:37 PM

Don`t know if Guts has a seat for a 2000, but I put a Guts racing tall seat and foam on my 04 WR450 and it`s awesome. Rode 60 desert miles at a close to race pace without any monkeybutt. The stock seat sure is a first class POS.

• ROLLINFAST

Posted April 02, 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have a SDG on my '99 WR. It's standard height and was very comfortable, except I'm 6'5". So, I bought a Gutz tall seat from a fellow rider. If standard height seats work for you, I'll make you a good deal on a SDG. Oh wait, I have a Clarke tank on it so I actually have to use YZ seats. Sorry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geoffro

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:52 AM

I found a cheaper option! somewhere on one of the forums I read a mod where you drill holes in the foam of the seat. At the bottom I think, quite a lot of small holes halfway into the foam and it allows the foam to have a bit more "give".Search the forums I'm sure you'll find the article.I will try look for it as well.

• creeky

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:52 PM

When I bought my '00 WR400, I removed the stock seat and installed an oak 2X4, big improvement.

• NMNORGE

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:42 PM

When I bought my '00 WR400, I removed the stock seat and installed an oak 2X4, big improvement.

:thumbsup: :confused: :excuseme:

• DIX

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:30 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=489610

pretty simple a cheap solution. Im gonna give it a try and Ill let you know how it works.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:48 PM

i had a moose seat on my last one. really comfy. on the newest bike i have a guts seat and it is mans best friend

• Summit

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:00 AM

Guts tall soft, awesome!!!!

• DIX

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:03 PM

I tried the seat foam modification posted above, and it seems to be considerably softer. I wont be able to tell for sure until I can get out for a good run, which will be at least a month or so. We are still snowmobiling here yet :thumbsup:

The whole process took maybe 40 minutes from seat off the bike to back on the bike. Would have been quicker if I had a proper staple gun. In addition to the regular outer foam there is a narrow section which makes up the base of the seat. This section consists of two seperate thin layers of foam. One is like a memory foam kind of deal, and the other is regular foam but much denser than the outter seat foam. Might be worth while replacing these two sections with a softer foam.

• Navaho6

Posted April 03, 2009 - 05:39 PM

Guts standard soft foam is the answer! :thumbsup:

• Robert_Brazil

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:34 PM

I agree that the stock WRF seat sucks, before selling my YZ2006 I swapped the foam and placed also half an inch of hard foam under it, which raises the seat height which better suits my riding style (I~m 6 ft 1). The YZ foam is much more gelly feeling. As the WRF has a battery you cannot simply swap the seats, you must keep the base and cut some foam from under the YZ foam, where the WRF~battery is placed. I also put some extra material on the seat cover which was required to compensate for the height increase. My bike is much better now.

• Robert_Brazil

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:40 PM

What about those new ACERBIS seats, anyone tested those:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.