Let me run this by you guys

11 replies to this topic
  • FiremanKay

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:21 AM

So a member on here have a 2008 LE YZ450F. He stated that it only has 12 hours on it. He wants to trade for my 2009 ME KX250F. I bike has about the same amount of time on it. I just paid 6k for bike last month but I am feeling like I am going to want a 450 very soon. So, should I trade now or wait it out and sell my bike next year and get a 450, it does seem like these this skydive in price after you use them. Also EFI means nothing to me, 5 out of the top 10 bikes in ever race seem to be Yami's with no EFI. Please help me out, my brain is killing me from thinking about this so much.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 30, 2009 - 11:10 AM

with the way the market is dropping for used bikes its pretty even.. You can get a 08 yz450 new otd for around 5gs right now.. thats with the dealer incentives. next year u will find a major increase in 450 sales in a few months with the 2010s are released as everyone is going to do what the honda owners did and jump on the fi..

It all depends on how badly u want a 450..

• erickdj

Posted March 30, 2009 - 11:18 AM

Damn, there's not much to think about. You already feel like you want to move up to a 450, the bike has low hours, there's only 1 year difference, the yz450f is a VERY solid bike. I say that's a very nice offer you're getting there. If I were you I'd be asking the guy when and where to meet for the trade. By the way, I own an 08 yz450f, VERY nice bike. Like you said, EFI is not really making that much of a difference at this point, even at the PRO level it's not making any difference. I wouldn't be concerned about EFI until it makes a significant difference over a traditional carb, if that ever happens. Manufacturers have refined the carbs pretty well as it is. Also, don't be concerned about how much you paid for the bike vs. what he paid, etc.. Both bikes are now used so it makes no difference.

• MX926

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Sounds like a fair deal to me , if the 450 is in fact low hours.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:33 PM

I would say do it. You will want more and more power and if you dont do the deal you would be kicking yourself from behind. Plus your not loosing anything seeing as how if you sold the 250 right now, you might not be able to get enough out of it to buy that 450. I say go for it.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 30, 2009 - 03:12 PM

great points guys, all things I was thinking myself. Well good to go then, i'll do it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted March 30, 2009 - 03:21 PM

great points guys, all things I was thinking myself. Well good to go then, i'll do it.

Let us know how it goes. And post up some pics :thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Anyone know any good shops in Columbus Ohio? We are going to meet there.

• tjpop

Posted March 31, 2009 - 05:49 AM

Iron Pony just started a new Yamaha dealership on the North end they have been really helpful and nice. I am not a big fan of Ask Motorsports(they have a couple of shops around the Columbus area) their service is a little prickish.

• FiremanKay

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:47 PM

Okay, trade complete. I only got to ride for like 10 mins when I got home but man! Why did i buy a 250 and this thing is sooooo plush, very happy.

• FiremanKay

Posted April 02, 2009 - 05:51 PM

Damn, there's not much to think about. You already feel like you want to move up to a 450, the bike has low hours, there's only 1 year difference, the yz450f is a VERY solid bike. I say that's a very nice offer you're getting there. If I were you I'd be asking the guy when and where to meet for the trade. By the way, I own an 08 yz450f, VERY nice bike. Like you said, EFI is not really making that much of a difference at this point, even at the PRO level it's not making any difference. I wouldn't be concerned about EFI until it makes a significant difference over a traditional carb, if that ever happens. Manufacturers have refined the carbs pretty well as it is. Also, don't be concerned about how much you paid for the bike vs. what he paid, etc.. Both bikes are now used so it makes no difference.

BTW this is what had me sold. Great points here, I placed my bike for sale on CL for $5,200 just to see. That about a G less then I paid last month. Not a single bite on it. So used sure does effect it, to the trade is almost like we both never really lost anything and got what we wanted. Plus I did look at this exact bike when I was buying my bike and it was the same price... plus he has a little work into it. Thanks again guys, I really am pleased.

• erickdj

Posted April 02, 2009 - 09:54 PM

BTW this is what had me sold. Great points here, I placed my bike for sale on CL for $5,200 just to see. That about a G less then I paid last month. Not a single bite on it. So used sure does effect it, to the trade is almost like we both never really lost anything and got what we wanted. Plus I did look at this exact bike when I was buying my bike and it was the same price... plus he has a little work into it. Thanks again guys, I really am pleased.

Glad to hear things worked out good for you. Ride that bike and come back to tell us what you think.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.