Do Valve Clearance Specs change with YZ timing?

2 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:02 PM

I just checked my valves and they all seem to be within specs. My engine sounds like it is rattling out of the bike but they all check out OK.

So my question is two fold...1) Do valve specs change if you are YZ timed?, 2) If not the valves, what is causing my engine to have such rattling noises (timing chain is tight enough I think).

WR manual has the following valve specs:
Exhaust: .25mm - .30mm (Mine register .25 and .30)
Intake: .15mm - .20mm (Mine all register .15)

Anyone know what the YZ manual reports for specs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 16, 2002 - 02:36 PM

Specs are the same.

Maybe it isn’t a valvetrain noise. If you had a ’00 I would immediately holler, “CHECK YOUR CB KEY.”

Sorry.

But if it were me I would check behind the right cover for any signs of looseness (assuming I’d isolated the noise to motor-only first, i.e. makes it in neutral w/ or w/out clutch engaged).

• Bill

Posted August 17, 2002 - 02:38 PM

When I changed to YZ timing, the bike had/has more valve train noise. I asked around and was told no biggie, they all do...when changed to YZ timing.

Bill

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.