waterpump shaft and seals

8 replies to this topic
  • paul69

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:09 AM

I have to fix my pump on my 2002 wr 426
I have a new shaft and seals, do i have to remove the clutch to get the side cover off?

• husky300racer

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:15 AM

Just remove the waterpump cover and the side cover. Do not try to loosen the water pump impellar until the side cover is off! you should also replace the waterpump bearing,the bearing and shaft are the #! reason the seals go bad in the first place.Hope this helps:thumbsup:

• paul69

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:33 AM

i took off the water pump cover then undone the impeller nut to remove it..
so i can leave the clutch in place and take off the side cover.
Thanks for your help ill get a bearing too.

• husky300racer

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:08 PM

you don't touch the clutch at all! just remove side cover and replace bearing,seals and shaft. Did you loosen the impeller without remove the side cover first? I'd put a little blue locktight on the shaft when reinstalling also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • paul69

Posted March 31, 2009 - 02:11 AM

yes i took off the water pump cover then undid the impeller before removing the side cover.should i put it back on untill the side cover is off?

• husky300racer

Posted March 31, 2009 - 07:14 PM

no you do not have to put it back on. I'm surprised you didn't break the shaft.

• paul69

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:25 AM

Ok thanks for you help,, better go and get on with it.

• matt4x4

Posted April 01, 2009 - 04:00 AM

The right way to do it is to take the case cover off BEFORE removing the impeller - that way you can put a wrench on the back of the impeller shaft to remove the impeller - doing it the way you did risks breaking the keyway on the balancer shaft.

• paul69

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:54 AM

Ok i got the side cover off, the bearing is a bit rough so ill have to get one.
the shaft is scored too, so im glad i got one in the end.
i will put it all together so i can tighten the impeller with out risk to the key.

thanks for your input

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.