06 YZ250F shock on 06 YZ450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • yamaman1

Posted March 29, 2009 - 12:01 AM

Im having some suspension problems with my 06 YZ450F. It has stock suspension and I weigh in at about 150lb with gear. Ive messed with the clickers and I have found a spot that I like for the front but the rear is way too springy and it kicks and hits me from behind on the faster stuff. Slowing the rebound only helped slightly with this. So my question is will a 06 YZ250F shock with a stock spring bolt right up to my 450? I think the 250 spring is better targeted for my weight and I can get a 250 shock with stock spring for really cheap. I know the fork springs are probably too stiff but they seems to be fine and Im afraid that going softer I will bottom out to much. Will it be unbalanced if I change just the rear and not the front? Any info will help. Thanks

• Clb33fyxj

Posted March 29, 2009 - 09:16 AM

you can get softer springs for the fourfiddy shock... in the manual they are listed by color codes according to spring constant. im sure that you can look em up in the oem parts store on TT

• mikedabike

Posted March 29, 2009 - 09:34 AM

You need to spring it correctly. Race tech recommends 5.2 out back and .44 up front. Stock on your bike is 5.5 and .48. I would look for used springs if you are on the cheap. The front .44 should be easy to find as they are stock in the 250 and 250f. Out back the 250's use a 4.9 you could try that but it might be a little light for the 450. The older 450's came with a 5.3 so you might also be able to find one of those cheap also. If you by new it would cost you a little over 200 for new springs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2009 - 08:02 PM

The rebound on the YZ450 is too loose. The clickers won't fix it because the damping curve is just wrong. I had Dave Johnson at Smart Performance help me with mine, and the results are quite phenomenal for something so simple. He can either do your shock for you, or if you're a fairly skilled mechanic, he can set you up with what you need to do it yourself.

• yamaman1

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:02 PM

So he does a revalve or this is a DIY kind of thing? It looks like Ill be getting a 5.2 or 5.3 spring for the rear, hopefully that fixes my issues. What does Dave charge for what you had done? Is he in SoCal?

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2009 - 06:52 AM

So he does a revalve or this is a DIY kind of thing? It looks like Ill be getting a 5.2 or 5.3 spring for the rear, hopefully that fixes my issues. What does Dave charge for what you had done? Is he in SoCal?

It is a revalve, but if you are skilled enough, and want to try it yourself, he will supply parts and instructions. (You'll need access to compressed nitrogen and a regulator) He is in SoCal, and he will probably charge less than a fair price for the YZ250 shock you were thinking about (and it will be the right setup for your bike).

Contact him through the web site I linked to for prices, etc. Be sure you use his oil, too. Great stuff.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.