YZ 450 engine into YZ 250 ?

4 replies to this topic
  • CFECO

Posted March 28, 2009 - 02:42 PM

Can a 03 YZ450f engine be put into a 2000 yz 250 frame, I have the engine and have access to the bike with no engine cheap, is it doable?

Thanks!

• FiremanKay

Posted March 28, 2009 - 02:51 PM

anything is doable, check the mounting points, there my be someone on here that owns both bikes and could tell you more but our best bet would be to check that out. I dont see why it wouldnt work though. I know guess that put 1000cc motors on quads and in shifter karts, you mite have to do a little fab work thats all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:22 PM

The YZ 450f engines are tall. The YZ 250 engines are not. YZ 450f fames are tall. YZ 250 frames are not.

Its probably doable if you cut and lower the cradle but then thats going to kill your ground clearance.

OT: I'd love to ride a 1000 cc sportbike powered quad. That'd be friggin crazy.

• spark250

Posted March 29, 2009 - 06:49 AM

You would really have to shoe horn that motor in a 2 stroke frame. Usually the motor swap happens the other way around! LOL.

• adamdf

Posted March 29, 2009 - 08:53 AM

Personally, i dont see why you would want to do it. Even if i had the know how to do it, i wouldn't take that risk or the time to. If you have to cut the frame etc to make it fit, you may very well be altering the integrity of the chassis, not something i want to worry about when landing from a huge triple or any jump from that matter. I say its not worth the stress but thats just my opinion.

EDIT: Another thing is that i doubt it would handle the corners well or anything like that. I said above that it just my opinion but i think i am just going to go ahead and say "please dont do it" haha.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.