Yz400f Update Please Help!

4 replies to this topic
  • mxdude1986

Posted March 27, 2009 - 03:48 PM

OK SO AFTER NARROWING MY PROBLEM DOWN TO THE HEAD GASKET I DECIDED TO OPEN THE ENGINE AND CHANGE IT OUT SO I TOOK THE CAMS OUT AND PULLED THE HEAD OUT I DID NOT MESS WITH THE VALVES HAS ONLY BEEN 6 HRS SINCE THEY WERE CHECKED AND WERE WITHIN SPECS DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO THEM?, SO I GOT THE HEAD OUT AND THIS IS WHAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK? I DONT PLAN ON CHANGING PISTON OR RINGS SINCE BIKE HAS BEEN RUNNING REALLY STRONG. WHAT YOU GUYS THINK? HERE ARE SOME PICS.:thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
MY HELPER !
Posted Image

• travisn

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:45 PM

lets see some pictures of the cylinder walls, atleast one of the "side" of the wall and the "front" of the wall. if the crosshatch doesnt match then things are a little worn...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyer05

Posted March 28, 2009 - 04:27 AM

Looks good. Hope you got your buckets and shims labeled.
Good luck

• ericyzf4

Posted March 29, 2009 - 05:17 AM

Place the head so the valves are pointed down (like the head was setting back on the jug). Squirt a fair bit of carb cleaner in the exhaust port and the intake ports, wait a minute or two and then raise the head without tipping it and dumping the carb cleaner out. If you see some seepage, then whatever valve you see is not sealing. The '99 400 has steel valves (unless replaced somewhere along the line with ti') so if the seepage is only a little, then you can probably get by with cleaning the valve, seat and then lapping the valves.

• finthat

Posted March 29, 2009 - 02:12 PM

How many hours do you think are on the bike??
While your are already into it for a topend gasket kit make sure all is good before bolting it back together. Check your piston and valves out well if it has been leaking coolant in. Your cylinder wall should tell you if there is trouble. It is apart now so pulling the jug to have a good look wouln't kill you. If it has higher hours the timing chain be worth a close look. Why did the head gasket start leaking...could the head be a little warped??? Just some things to think about before buttoning it up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.