just got the yz400f back...

3 replies to this topic
  • answerace

Posted March 27, 2009 - 03:17 PM

So last winter i completely forgot to drain my gas after storing in garage. So I had the bike into the shop to have the carb cleaned, oil and filter changed, plug changed and figured i'd have the valves checked since i have no record of when it was last done. Ended up the valves needed adjusted so they did that and then started and test rode. I got there and picked it up and wanted to make sure it ran before I left. I attempted to use my normal starting drill that worked in 2-3 kicks every time and it didn't seem to work. Could the cleaned carb and reshimmed valves change my starting drill at all? Mid summer last year I added a White Bros R4 exhaust but I didn't really notice much of a difference in starting. Should I be rejetting the carb at all for the exhaust? Its just a slip-on pipe not a full exhaust. It also has Twin-Air filter.

Old Starting Drill:
2 twist of throttle (0-1 if started with in past few hours)
choke on
find tdc
release
1 soft kick
find tdc
release
1 hard kick
vrooooom

New Starting Drill:
no clue.....
kick
kick
kick
haha

• 642MX

Posted March 27, 2009 - 03:21 PM

It should still start up like always. Are you still doing the drill and its not firing? Did the dealership guys get it to light?.... I don't think I would've picked it up without hearing it run.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • answerace

Posted March 27, 2009 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, they said they tested it and I also got it to fire in the parking lot but it was much harder then I remember. I guess I'll just have to do some trial and error like when i first got it. It def runs much smoother when running now with the new plug and valve adjustment.

• ZéPovinho

Posted March 28, 2009 - 03:05 PM

dont twist the throtlle, and check the spark plugyou might have already flooden it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.