BFN 09 WR450 runs terrible on the bottom.

41 replies to this topic
  • Fullbore4

Posted March 29, 2009 - 12:50 PM

Yah I agree that it sounds like the dealer left old gas in it forever. In that case the carb would have to come off and be thoroughly cleaned....good luck.

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 30, 2009 - 08:02 AM

It's at the dealer right now. I'll keep you informed.

I have bought a few other powersports items from this dealer and they have taken good care of me on the past on other items.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:14 AM

it sounds like the dealer left old gas in it forever. In that case the carb would have to come off and be thoroughly cleaned

the carb would still have to come off to be rejetted...IMHO i wouldnt waste my time going back to the dealer...i would buy the stuff i need to uncork and move on.

but to each his own...let us know how it runs after dealer "fix's" it :thumbsup:

• WRSJ

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:15 PM

if the dealer is Colorado powersports that mite be your problem.

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn't let CPS touch my lawn mower! Worst dealership I have ever
delt with hands down!

• Strattos

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:39 PM

I agree with Bigcoop re working on your bike. On the topic of how bikes come plugged up off the show room floor, I still can't understand why Yamahas and KTMs differ so much, here in Australia at least.

Here in Aus. you can buy both bikes road registered off the showroom floor and they're chalk and cheese in terms of how plugged up they are. A lot of mates who've bought KTMs still run it pretty much how they got it off the showroom floor. No removing or destricting stuff. Not sure how KTM get around the regulations that seem to clog up most of the Jap bikes.

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 31, 2009 - 08:44 AM

I'll probably get hammered for this but....

I can't get into thumperfaq.com. :thumbsup: Can someone tell me the procedure
for the throttle stop and grey wire mod? Do I remove the throttle stop?
Do I remove it, grind some off and replace?? :confused:

BTW: This is a 09 bike.

• erickdj

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:15 AM

I'll probably get hammered for this but....

I can't get into thumperfaq.com. :thumbsup: Can someone tell me the procedure
for the throttle stop and grey wire mod? Do I remove the throttle stop?
Do I remove it, grind some off and replace?? :confused:

BTW: This is a 09 bike.

The throttle stop can be swapped with a yz throttle stop. Simple as that, just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. The grey wire gets disconnected from the electrical plug behind the left number plate and wrapped in electrical tape, that's all there's to it.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:26 AM

I just got an 09 WR 450F too, but my bike didn't backfire at all. I just replaced the throttle screw and took out the restricton plug and now it sputters a little, but no overheating. Overall runs good. That just doesn't sound right, I would def take it back to the dealer. Good luck.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:27 AM

The throttle stop can be swapped with a yz throttle stop. Simple as that, just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. The grey wire gets disconnected from the electrical plug behind the left number plate and wrapped in electrical tape, that's all there's to it.

+1:thumbsup:

I have an extra yz throttle stop if you want, send me a pm and you can have it.

hang out here long enough, and will have your bike hauling the mail :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:28 AM

I bought the throttle screw off of the YZ450F motocross bike, it is much shorter, but costed $13.00! I can get you the part number if you want.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:30 AM

For some reason my resctrion plug was a pain in the $$$$ to get out. I had to hammer a screwdriver through it. I though it would just pull right out.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:36 AM

Why isn't my profile picture showing

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info guy's!

Can anybody else get into thumperfaq.com??

• JWW

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info guy's!

Can anybody else get into thumperfaq.com??

Nope- I have tried off and on for the last month or two with no luck.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:44 PM

You will be very happy once you have done all the free and inexpensive mods that everyone else has. One thing I have noticed about how the magazines are testing this bike is that they are leaving the jetting stock, cutting the throttle screw down, unplugging the grey wire, and uncorking the exhaust and airbox and that's it for the most part. In the last month or so, both Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider had 450 off road tests where they tested the bike just like this and it did very well. And as mentioned, the ace in the hole is the reliability of these bikes compared to most.

Not a clue why you can't get into the faq section. I would send a pm to one of the admins to ask.

• Yammerhammer

Posted April 06, 2009 - 05:08 AM

I got it back from the dealer and here's my deal.

Temp outside is about 30*. It is almost impossible to get started. Once it
is running (had to use batt booster) and warmed up, it still has the off idle bog. It also has a deceleration pop. Keep in mind, this was at 30 temps.

Should I not worry about this until it warms up to say 70* outside? LOL

2 What was done:
AIS removal
YZ throttle stop
Grey wire
Boysen Quick Shot II
Pea shooter
air box
re-jet.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 06, 2009 - 05:29 AM

At 30 degrees you'll probably need to kick start it the first time of the day. The estart on the WR is not that robust. Also your starter jet (i.e. - choke) is probably too small for that temp. Try giving the throttle 5 or 6 good pumps before starting it. If your popping on decel then your pilot jet is still too small for the conditions. Is the bog you are seeing when the bike is on the stand or when riding under load? Don't worry about on the stand and concentrate your efforts on getting rid of it under load (leak jet). All in all it sounds like your jetting is still off. Jet it for the conditions you want to ride. I think the jetting will be much different for 30 and 70 degrees.

• Yammerhammer

Posted April 06, 2009 - 05:44 AM

It bogs on the stand. Didn't notice much under load.

I guess that was my point. I'll probably be riding in 70*+ temps most of the time. I feel I would be waisting my, and the the dealers, time to keep jetting
it when it's 30*outside.

I think I'll leave it alone for now.

• beezer

Posted April 06, 2009 - 07:12 AM

I wouldn't worry about how it runs on the stand. You can shut off any 4 stroke just by grabbing a handfull at idle.

I never try to start mine cold with the e-start. I open the throttle up a few times and kick it. Once warm the e-start will get it going.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.