BFN 09 WR450 runs terrible on the bottom.

41 replies to this topic
  • Yammerhammer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:42 AM

So I bought a new 09 WR450 last Saturday. From the moment I unloaded it, it ran terrible on the bottom, up to about 1/4 throttle. It coughs and sputters. It has a BAD
off idle bog, to the point it will almost kill the engine. When I shut it off, it backfires out the exhaust. Within the first 20minutes of ride time, it overheated. ***? I know these things are lean from the factory but this is ridiculous! I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow but we all know how that will go. :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:52 AM

I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow

Why take it back...why not rejet the carb for your area, de-smog it and then ride the crap out if...

There is nothing "wrong" with your bike...you simply need to set it up :thumbsup:

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:55 AM

Yes, I agree but I shouldn't be the one to have to "set it up" should I? It should at least run correctly. I can understand the downtuning and it having less power but it flat runs bad.

I didn't pay good money to have it run like crap.

• tony1970

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:26 AM

Take it back while it is still under warranty.

• beezer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:31 AM

I don't even bother starting mine until I de-smog, dump the exhaust and rejet.

Yamaha sells them in an almost unrideable state.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:23 PM

Yes, I agree but I shouldn't be the one to have to "set it up" should I? It should at least run correctly.I didn't pay good money to have it run like crap.

Let me ask you this...are you planning on doing the free mod? If so dont both taking it back...consider this the perfect time to get the stuff you need to make the bike run right so you can break it in correctly and enjoy it.

Heck when I bought my 08, I told the dealer DO NOT start it...it sat for 2 months while I built it before it was even started it...:thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:34 PM

I've had a bunch of WR's and each model year requires more to get to where you can actually ride the thing.

I have no idea why Yamaha continues to sell the bike like that. No other MC mfger does.

But once fiddled with they are awesome bikes, probably the most reliable made.

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:35 PM

Let me ask you this...are you planning on doing the free mod? If so dont both taking it back...consider this the perfect time to get the stuff you need to make the bike run right so you can break it in correctly and enjoy it.

Heck when I bought my 08, I told the dealer DO NOT start it...it sat for 2 months while I built it before it was even started it...:thumbsup:

If the dealer sets it up correctly (for free) to where it runs right, then no. If I have to re-jet/set-up myself then yes, I will do the free mod.

Awe, now that I think it over, If I can get the parts soon enough, I'll do the free mods... if I could get into thumperfaq.com to get instruction. It just pizzes me off when the dealer leaves them this way for the consumer to deal with.

• Regalman

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:41 PM

It just pizzes me off when the dealer leaves them this way for the consumer to deal with.

I'm sure it all comes down to legality... they should at least clue you in though.

As for why they do it.. isn't it so they can be green stickered in Cali?

• Yammerhammer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'm sure it all comes down to legality... they should at least clue you in though.

I'm not pizzed about the performance (yet), it's the fact that it doesn't even run smooth.

As for why they do it.. isn't it so they can be green stickered in Cali?

I'm sure thats the reason they are so lean, however, I didn't buy mine in
Cali and never plan to take it there. They should have made a "CALI" model. These Cali models should have a sticker that reads "Not for ethical sale in the
other 49 states".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:50 PM

Sounds like you have a plugged pilot jet.

• tony1970

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:58 PM

If the bike is not running properly and overheating from the dealer why would you not take it back? If this was a car would you say the same thing? Your bike may have been messed with by the dealer already, and that is why it is running like crap. If it was mine I would take it back and have them get it running properly while it is still under Yamahas warranty, you never know the dealer might of had it sitting with gas in the carb and the carb is now full of varnish. These bikes run fine with the stock jetting and AIS installed, and should not overheat after 20 minutes of riding and backfiring.

• beezer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 01:05 PM

I don't let the dealer touch my bike.

Dealers usually have the dumbest kid there working on dirtbikes.

BTW a YZ450 stock pipe off of eBay is good choice and cheap.

The carb on a WR is a mutha to get at so do it once right and you'll be done.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 27, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Technically the EPA standards for "off road" motorcycles is the same as CA. Thats why the CA WRs are sold in all 50 states.

Honda and Kawasaki seemed to have put more effort into getting their bikes to run well out of the box with all the emissions crap.

BTW the throttle stop is in place to cheat the EPA's ride by noise standards. Pretty stupid when the WR's have the most crappy (read quietest) exhaust systems on the market.

• TyeeHusky

Posted March 27, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Why would you want to take a chance on having a major problem? Take it back and have the dealer getting it running order then take it and make your mods. Make sure it is working before attempting to change it is just being smart with your investment.

When I bought my bike I gave them the specs I wanted along with smog equipment removed. All as part of the sale. My point was why spend 7 grand and have to tear it apart. They did all the mods and I signed a paper so they are not liable. Never have had the carb out sense and it runs perfect.

Tell them what carb setting you want and have them do it.

• atitagain

Posted March 27, 2009 - 06:21 PM

+1 Husky!!!
I did the same thing....I did all of my research b4 the purchase and had them re-jet,de-smog, and un-cork ( wow...lots of -'s).

• usafcop11

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:16 AM

I feel you brother. I just bought a new 08 about a month ago. Same problems as you. I dont know how to do the free mods or have the time. So I would have liked for it to run right out of the box, but I knew that wasnt going to happend. I tried to get in there and get that carb out but after a hour I gave up. I adjusted the timing screw on the pumper and that helped alittle but im sure it is running to lean still. I wish I could just take it to someone and have them do it for me. Im all for working on my bike, I just dont have the time anymore.

• garr87v

Posted March 28, 2009 - 04:01 PM

If you don't know how to turn a wrench take it back, if you do change the jetting clean the carb and get on the bike and ride. :thumbsup: :usa:

• huskyrider

Posted March 29, 2009 - 09:28 AM

I feel your pain.

When I bought my 426's I was totally disappointed, they couldn't even keep up with a 77 250 Husky on a flat dirt road.

I'm not sure about the new models but on mine I removed the butt plug, cut the throttle stop, retimed to YZ timing, rejetted with a YZ needle and jet changes, and did the BK carb mod.

I PROMISE you it was a night and day difference.

I broke them out of the shop yesterday after they'd sat since 2005, I'd long forgot just how much fun to ride they were.

See ya,
Kelly

• Summit Seeker

Posted March 29, 2009 - 11:05 AM

Take the bike back. PERIOD

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.